So I had this idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pro2A, Mar 5, 2010.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

... and I wanted to capitalize on it... I need some ideas first. My idea is to post an add in the local newspaper some money per person for a 5 day class on Google.

I would hold it in my house and convert my television into a big computer screen to demonstrate what I am teaching. Students would provide their own laptops with wireless capabilities. I would cover things like how to search Google, Google Images, Email, Google Earth, Videos and ask questions using Google etc... I figure the average person knows how to navigate around a computer, but not much more. This class would be geared towards people who want to know how to use Google, but don't know how. I would interview students before they showed up to see how much they know.

Hopefully I can do this... but have never taught anything I am good at... any pointers or ideas on what I should do?

2. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

Not to shoot you down, but I always thought that everyone already knew how to use google? I mean, you go to google and you're ready to search. Click Images and you can image search. Videos. Gmail...

Maybe you're targeting a less technoliterate (i made that word =3) audience?

3. pro2A

Basically.

The idea sparked after I had to show someone at work all the cool stuff with Google. Yes, people can use Google, but do they really? ;)

4. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

Do you mean like advance search and fun stuff like thta? As well as other features? So your expediting on Google then? Or are you working with basic computer stuff in general?

But Pro, you are requesting they bring their own wireless laptop. Most people who use a wireless laptop with wifi and all that cool junk already know how to do the stuff your offering. Nice idea though. You should consider teaching this in a school. Its called, at my schools at least, either "Technical Composition," or "Tech Comp," or "Education Technology," or "Tech Ed." You should look into it. Oddly enough, both of the teachers I know who teach those drive Mercededs, so, it appears to pay well.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Can you really fill a 5 day class with just Google?

I know there are some impressively techno-illiterate people, but 5 days? I'm pretty sure you should increase it to include any basic computer skills at their request.

Also, you should find out if any laws/regulations cover this.

6. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

^This. As soon as you said they would have to provide their own laptops with WIFI, I knew you weren't going to get anyone that really needed the class. Either teach higher-level stuff, or don't ask people to bring a computer. If you want to teach low-level stuff, think about doing private one-on-one lessons. You can show them on your computer, then they can take control and practice. You may make more money this way, too. People will pay more for one-on-one help.

7. pro2A

Not really. This girl that I work with has a laptop with WIFI and I have to show her stuff still. She wants to learn more, but doesn't do it enough to do more then just a basic search. These are the people I am aiming towards. People with some PC knowledge, but want to know more.

This is not a class for the totally inept... you know, people who ask "How do I move a mouse"? :lol:

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

You may be right, but you may also be using an outlier as an example.

9. Rice72

Rice72 New Member

I think it's a good idea but everyone knows how to do that, maybe you could teach something with computers but harder

10. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Pro, you should set up a lesson plan for five days that includes computer basics and tips and tricks.

Always be open to what your students want to lean and you'll make more money. Spend an hour and a half or so teaching them basics and then a half hour a day teaching them things they want to learn. Spend a whole lesson on that item if the class is interested.