• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

So I got fired....crud.

Shwa

V.I.P.
So today I was dismissed from my CNA position for neglecting a patient. The story you ask? why grab a "cup of joe" and we'll go down memory lane.....12 hours ago:

We had a fire drill at work, during these drill all the residents are put into their own respective rooms and all the doors closed during the drill (just to get them out of the halls and do head counts and what not). So today, the drill only lasted a minute or two, we didn't ever have time to put everyone away, but I managed to get a couple of people in their rooms and back out after the drill was over.

HOWEVER...I had forgotten one of my patients in her room, it completely skipped my mind and I thought I had gotten everyone, so I went to another patients room and changed her soiled pants. Next thing I know, I'm walking down the hall and my nurse is asking who left Room 213 in the room alone? Who brought her in there? So I told her it was me for the fire drill...I was informed that my patient got up from her reclining chair (Gery chair for residents who like to stand on their own, its reclines back like a recliner would to prevent them from standing) and fell onto the ground.

Now this is a lady who I've been taking close care of when she got to the facility cause she's petite, soft spoken and a real sweetheart. When I came back from my lunch break I was called into the office by my main supervisor and was told my position at the facility has been terminated. Honestly I can believe it, I DID forget about my resident and forgot she was in the room. My supervisor told me I did everything right for the drill but because she fell it's considered neglect.

So, I'm at a rut, been applying for jobs all day but it hasn't really sunken in yet. I really like the job I do as a Nursing assistant and the work is fulfilling, I just hate getting fired from jobs I know Im good at. It really, really sucks. Anyone else been in a position where they were fired from a job they liked?

~Shwa

Dabs

Registered Member
I'm sorry to hear this for you Shwa~
I have never been fired from a job.....I have quit some, but never been fired.
These things happen, and I'm sure something will come along for you.......just keep looking and think positive!
Again, I am sorry.....it sounds as tho you enjoyed your work and I hope you will be able to find the same kind of job real soon :)

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
Shwa!

How awful, I do love, by the way, how mature and understanding you are about it. It is good that you not only recognise your mistake but take responsibility for it. All I can say is despite being let go you managed to maintain dignity and grace with it.

It hurts when you lose something you love be it a person, pet or a job.

Will this have an effect on jobs you can get now?

I truely hope you find something else sweetheart <3

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sorry to hear about that Shwa, I know how much you enjoyed this job and you put a lot of hours on a week to week basis. It was just a bad situation all together, if it was up to me I wouldn't of fired you over this, maybe written you up but that's pretty much it.

I can't say I was ever in the same position as you, so I can't really tell how you are feeling right now, but I'm sure your still in disbelief. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll find something else quickly.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Shwa!

How awful, I do love, by the way, how mature and understanding you are about it. It is good that you not only recognise your mistake but take responsibility for it. All I can say is despite being let go you managed to maintain dignity and grace with it.
I agreed.
It's admirable how you're confronting this situation.
I hope you find a job you like just as much as this one, or more.

Good luck!

Impact

V.I.P.
I'm really sorry Shwa. It's crazy you didn't just get a warning or something, but I guess they have to crack down pretty hard on that type of thing. Like everyone has said, you seem to be handling it really well. Good luck looking for a new position.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm sorry to hear that, Shwa. That really sucks. It also sucks that CNAs have so much responsibility and are so grossly underpaid. I hope you find something soon.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm so sorry! :( Doesn't seem like you should have gotten fired for it. That blows.

Hrm. I've only been fired once, and it was bs. It was a job that I did enjoy, it was just that I was working 70 - 80 hours a week and it was wearing me out. I let the owner know that I was being overworked and needed some help. Instead of hiring another person to help me, they hired another person to replace me and fired me.

Shortly after, they got a 2nd person for the position. Guess I was right after all. :\

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I agree with Jeanie CNA's don't get paid nearly enough for what they do. I also agree with how maturely you're handling this. Keep looking, CNA's are in demand and you should be able to find something soon. Good luck buddy.

Shwa

V.I.P.
Awe thanks guys, I'm surprised Im taking it so well myself but I've always try to remain positive in these kinds of situations. Eventually I get down and depressed but Im just applying like crazy now and getting those hopes up for something soon.

Will this have an effect on jobs you can get now?
Honestly I don't think so, this was an accident afterall, but you know how Supervisors and HR representatives like to make it a huge commotion. It won't hurt my certification, but chances at another CNA position....it's got me thinking now.

Impact

I'm really sorry Shwa. It's crazy you didn't just get a warning or something, but I guess they have to crack down pretty hard on that type of thing...
I will be honest and agree here, but it all boild down to taking care of a human life, not a peice of paper or a bit of information. Yeah I could agree with maybe getting a warning, but there's always the possibility my patient could have died. Small chance, but always the possibility.

Thanks a lot guys, today I plan on giving plasma, yay!!! :D:D Hey, its something for now.

~Shwa

Last edited: