So I bought a Genesis

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Kazmarov, May 30, 2009.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

For 39.99 plus six dollars for expedited shipping. Comes with two controllers, all cables, and five random games.

Any suggestions of what I should get for this? Is Sega CD worth it?

2. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

I don't know about in N.A., but Sega CD didn't have that many games released for it in U.K., and the few that were released are quite hard to find these days. There are loads of classic games you could get for the Mega Drive/Genesis though, not least of all the Sonic Series. Have a look around second-hand shops for some bargains.

3. HappyFace

HappyFace Registered Member

Sega CD was a pretty big flop, I never enjoyed the one my friend had it was more or less just an experiment. If you have a Sega Genesis I advise the sonic series.

4. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

The Sega CD was a complete waste of time. Although at the time it was the cutting edge of gaming, it was still pants.

First of all you have to have about thirty cables to connect it all up. As it's already been pointed out, there was many games made for the Sega CD and most of them consisted of poor graphics and dodgy game play.

I think Sega should have stuck to cartridges, it was a good idea to get the CD ball rolling but it was rushed and the games were poor.

Also avoid the Sega 32x upgrade.

Yeah the Sonic games are a must, also look out for The Golden Axe and Streets of Rage games.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

There are actually a number of good Sega CD games, but whether you can (or want to) get them is a different matter...

Snatcher - This is a rare, highly-sought after item. Looking through eBay, I can see only one for bid at around $50 so far ("Mint condition and complete"). The rest are buy now and are around $200 or so. If you really want it, go for it. Otherwise emulate it.

Terminator - Compared to the other Terminator 1 games, this one is apparently the one to go for. A complete revamp of the Mega Drive game, and recommended by the Nerd.

Shining Force CD - A remake of Shining Force Gaiden and Shining Force Gaiden 2 for the Game Gear. Apparently pretty damn good. Unfortunately requires a Back-up RAM cart to save both games, so possibly one for emulation.

There are some others as well, but I haven't done much research into them yet. On the whole though, the Sega CD line up was pretty balls.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I have a Genesis myself, it's still awesome.

I never really had a lot of games for mine though I had the Genesis Sonic Collection, it was one cartridge and it had Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine which in my opinion is one of the best games ever made (it also released for GC on the Sonic Mega collection adn Wii VC) Sonic The Hedgehog 2 can be played with a buddy if you have 2 controllers, that's always a lot of fun.

I also had NBA Hang Time, that game was also loads of fun.

You definitely don't need to waste your time on the Sega CD, I never really have used one very much but from all that I've heard it's a complete waste.