• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

So how about those candidates...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Well, there are two types of voters, (not counting those who don't vote.. because hey, technically they aren't voters).. Those two types are:

Those who vote for the candidate they would rather tolerate, and those who vote for the candidate they honestly believe in.

Personally I don't see any point in voting for somebody who doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting into office.
I disagree 100%. I don't see the point in voting for somebody you don't believe in. If everybody votes for who they truly think is the best candidate, then that candidate might have a chance. The problem is that the majority see things your way, that if you don't vote Republican or Democrat then you're throwing your vote away. Our government will always be corrupt until people realize we really do have other (better) options.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well sure, but who's going to convince everybody to "throw their vote away?" It might sound good in theory, but the reality is that unless a MAJOR rally were to occur for a third party candidate in which somehow he/she managed to get the majority vote, a Republican or Democrat will be president every time.

Funny thing is that EVEN if a third party candidate got enough votes to "win" the election, I doubt the electoral college would put them through.

That's another story altogether. I didn't write the rules. I can't say I agree with the electoral college principle, but hey that's how it is.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
yeah and 3rd party tickets actually help elect the guy you don't want in.

Say I am a big fan of Alan Keyes. Say I really like Keyes becuase he is the only guy that says he will appoint judges to overturn Roe vs Wade and he is a big supporter of the 2nd amendment. So, the 3 guys I can vote for are Romney(Republican), Clinton(Democrat) or Keyes(Constitutional Party). Myself and 8% of the population vote for Keyes and Hillary wins by 5%.

Now Clinton has the complete opposite view of abortion and gun rights as Alan Keyes. She also has a very different view than Romney. Maybe Romney would not have taken things as far as Keyes would have, but clearly Clinton will take things much further left than Romney ever dreamed of. Our system was designed to center around compromise. That means things happen very slowly. Reagan talked about the flat tax and it looks like we are finally within 10 years of getting it. That's the system, you're not going to get everything you want in a single election cycle.

Teorropy

I know I should be into the election more, but I get tired of the mud slinging and not enough of the what do I believe in.

I know I don't want Hilary in, I am not saying she won't win, she has a chance, but I don't want her in there.

I do know I will not vote for her.

I would have to agree with Andrew on this one, there will always be a Repub or Democrat in office.

America, I think doesn't really like change or the work you have to do to make it possible.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
yeah and 3rd party tickets actually help elect the guy you don't want in.
If Americans are so scared of our government that they have to vote against the guy they don't want instead of the guy they do want and truly feel good about, then this country really is in some serious trouble.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
If Americans are so scared of our government that they have to vote against the guy they don't want instead of the guy they do want and truly feel good about, then this country really is in some serious trouble.
It really has nothing to do with being scared of the government. It's the fact that if more people vote for person A, he/she will get in.

If you want to vote for whoever then that is your choice. It's just mathematically a waste of a vote if you have access to pre-poll numbers before hand. Sure if a third party candidate had a 25-30% approval rating before the election, a lot of people would realize that now is the time to vote for that person and get them in.

Regardless though, if they are expected to get a few % or less of the votes, it really isn't worth voting for them when you could be voting for the "lesser of the two evils" that you'd prefer to have in office. It's not unfair, it's just called being in the minority vote.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Why should I bother voting at all if Illinois ends up going to the Democrat by a wide margin every election? The system is retarded and this country is retarded. Yeah, let's vote for the lesser of two evils when there's another candidate who isn't evil. That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
I don't really like any of the candidates, but I think that Obama, and Clinton have a good chance at becoming the next president.