• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss So does anyone have a 3D TV?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I never got the hype and I always felt like I was getting a headache watching them at stores when they were on display. It sucks because it looks so cool and I wish I had the money for one but damn, the headaches.

Do you like it? What would you change? Do you want one?

dDave

V.I.P.
I do not want a current gen 3D TV, I think that it looks terrible on an LED panel. The glasses have to have batteries to be synced up (and they're ridiculously expensive), the viewing angle is small, and overall 3D looks blurry.

The only way 3D looks good is on a projector with horizontally and vertically polarized light (for the right and left eyes respectively). This method is used at the movie theaters and I think it looks great. (I especially enjoyed Peter Jacksons new 48fps method) No batteries are required, the viewing angle is much better, and it's got to be way less expensive.

3D TVs are absurdly expensive and there really aren't that many movies in 3D that you can buy.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Dave, I have a current 3D TV and it has really thin glasses that don't require batteries.

Anyway as stated above I have one. We don't have any 3D channels, except some of the Olympics was in 3D when that was on, but we use it for 3D movies and gaming. I think it looks good for the movies we have, we have about 4 blu-ray 3D films so far, I never get any headaches or anything, although every now and then I might notice a tiny bit of blurring to the side.

I also have duel 3D gaming glasses, so you can play split screen but see a whole screen each. I don't use them often though.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My brother in law has one and I'm not impressed with it at all as far as quality of picture and the 3D effect. I don't like wearing those big heavy glasses either. They have had the TV for several months now and I don't think they ever use the glasses anymore.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
My TV is 3D capable but I would have to buy glasses for it and haven't really researched what else to do to make it work. 3D is cool sometimes, but it just doesn't blow me away to the extend that I really really need to see it often. So at home I don't really think about it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I've noticed a couple people talking about "big heavy" glasses or "battery powered" ones, so I thought I'd show mine.

My 3D TV has glasses similar to this.

They are thin, lightweight and don't require batteries or connecting to the TV.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I currently do not have one, and do not have plans to get one. Like Merc says, it gives me a terrible headache. I will even avoid 3D at the movie theaters. I saw Avatar in 3D when that came out, and I had such a massive headache when I left. I'm not a huge fan of it at all.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I currently do not have one, and do not have plans to get one. Like Merc says, it gives me a terrible headache. I will even avoid 3D at the movie theaters. I saw Avatar in 3D when that came out, and I had such a massive headache when I left. I'm not a huge fan of it at all.
The funny thing is I've seen movies in 3D and once the first few minutes goes by and my eyes adjust, I'm usually okay (albeit after a small headache). But using the display models of these TV's in store always give me headaches. It baffles me.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I cannot stand 3D TVs. I've always felt like they are a gimmick that will pass with time. I don't want to have to wear glasses to watch my TV properly. I also have a hard time with 3D because my eyes aren't exactly the same. One has a stronger prescription than the other and I cannot wear 3D glasses with my normal glasses.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
If I was going to get one, I keep waiting a while. The ones that are out now aren't that good, chances are, you will barely even notice much of anything.

If you want to get one, just wait a few years until they really perfect it and get it working how it should be.