So... Did you get Vista yet?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Reverend, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Reverend

Reverend Registered Member

Yep, it went on sale this morning, and I saw news reports of people lining up at midnight for the release.

I think I need to wait and upgrade my hardware first, so I'm not going to be an early adopter.

What about you?

If you got it, whaddya think?

Pete

2. Python

Python Sssssuper Platinum ******

Re: So... Did your get Vista yet?

So, what type of specs are we looking at here? Right now, I'm waiting for my free copy. :D

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Re: So... Did your get Vista yet?

I was at CompUSA last night when they released it at midnight but that was only because I was out to eat at Village Inn until 11:50pm. :)

I didn't actually buy a copy. The only version I will consider is Ultimate, but I'm a little weary about the $400 price tag... I may end up biting the bullet but we will see...

At the very least it's not a bad idea to wait at least a week so any immediate bugs can be sorted out by either Microsoft or third parties, where applicable.

4. Python

I see new comouters with Vista for $600.00. Isn't it better to buy one with it for $200.00 more and then transfer your memory, drive and what-nots over?

5. Mirage

The computers for $600 do not come with Vista Ultimate, however. They come with Vista Home Premium at best, and they are the OEM versions which are non-transferable.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

It's a shame that it's already up with busted serials on file sharing sites.

7. Python

I am going to try to stay with XP Pro as long as I can. I'm tols XP SP1 is no longer supported after October 10, 2006 so I figure i got 6 months to 18 months before XP SP2 goes unsupported.

Thanks about the warning about, Andrew. I'm only going for Ultimate. So places like Del for example if it come with Home and you want Ultimate, they will up it for you. I went to buy ink at Staples yesterday and they said that they would install it in your current computer for free when you buy it in the store. So far I don't know if you have to bring the computer in later or if they will make a house call. Most likely, we would have to bring it in since its being done for free or setup up a date and time from them to show up.

8. Mirage

They will install Ultimate for free even on cheaper systems? That's interesting. I'll have to look into that a bit more.. I think you misunderstood though because $400 is quite expensive for an OS and some laptops out there are only $600 with Home Premium. If I can get a laptop with Ultimate on it for $600 I just might do that. :D

For my main computer though, I decided there's no point in upgrading just yet. For me the only benefits I am interested in are:

1. 64 bit capability
    2. Extended RAM capability
    3. Added security features such as safer IE (although I use FF myself) and full drive encryption

I personally don't care at all about the Aero Glass effects. Sure it looks cool, but right now it's at the back of my mind. I doubt the Aero Glass effects will have much pull on business and professional users. I want an OS that is efficient. I don't mind one that looks cool also, but I'm not going to upgrade just for that.

As for my points above:

1. 64 bit: This isn't really a pressing issue until software starts being released for 64 bit. I'll hold off on any new purchases for now and wait until I get Vista so I can get 64 bit software, but for now I don't need any new software.

2. More RAM: I have 2 gigs right now. It's quite fast most of the time so this is not an immediate requirement for me either.

3. Security: I use a ton of security software that does not yet work for Vista, but certainly works well for XP. The full drive encryption is nice but again, it's not a major issue.

While I do think that it was time for a new OS, I don't think that people will find themselves needing to upgrade until at the earliest 6 months from now. I'll probably wait until summer or fall to upgrade. By then everything should be running better than XP and there will most likely be several third party enhancements released by then as well.

9. Reverend

Reverend Registered Member

So after all the hype, nobody here has actually bought it yet? lol

Pete

10. Mirage

I came quite close a few times but really there are not enough reasons to compel me to make the jump. Heck, I'll have to buy a new sound card just to listen to music as I work. That will cost me a few hundred right off the bat as well.

What was all this "make sure your computer is Vista ready" from Microsoft? They never mentioned EAX sound cards not working.. Practically every Creative Labs Sound Blaster card will not work with Vista. What a bummer for so many people caught off guard.. :(