So arming ships doesn't work huh?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Apr 26, 2009.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

FOXNews.com - Italian Cruise Ship Fires on Somali Pirates - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Kind of puts a lie to the notion that more guns = more deaths. Looks like the pirates bit off more then they could chew and left.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I heard about that too. I didn't even think about cruise ships when all this pirating talk was going on a few weeks ago.

One thing is for sure, if I'm ever looking to go on a cruise in the near future one of the first questions I'd ask would be "Do you have armed guards on board?"

3. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

Naw it doesn't. The cruiseship being captured would likely not have resulted in any casualties either. Now there's one passenger lightly wounded due to the gun fight.. could have been much worse.

Doesn't mean I don't approve of guarding your ship though.. definitily +1 for the cruise ship.

4. TheDonkeyofPoker

TheDonkeyofPoker Registered Member

the owners of the transport ships say its not cost efficient to have armed units
    they said they rather pay the ransom then increased cost of insurance.

Israeli private security forces
    I' wouldn't mind having them on any ship I was on... they def highly trained

5. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Pirate weaponry is no match for giant cruise ship weaponry. You'd think they get the message not to attack any large ship in those waters but no.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Well, it is good to see they have got professionals in to do the job instead of trying to do it themselves.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree with him that they need to be armed. I can see from his point of view as a captain of a ship that he would not want to relinquish command to hired help. Since a captain of a ship such as that one would have much more experience in those kinds of waters, and since he is ultimately responsible for the ship's cargo, I think too much confusion and a power struggle could ensue if there's a conflict between him and the hired help.

Mod Edit: Thank you very much - Sui

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  9. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Well today Captain Phillips came out and said that ships should be armed.

Capt. Phillips calls for arming ship officers - USATODAY.com

I think the companies could train the crews in the use of guns, and keep a weapons locker aboard which could only be opened if pirates take over.

Simple solution... people think its too hard :rolleyes:

Edit: Lol look what happens when I dont read the thread :lol:

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  10. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

A simple solution would be to send in the navy and bomb the f out of those pirate vessels..

But apparently that's not allowed. I remember like 2 weeks ago the Dutch navy caught some pirates, but had to let them go because the NATO didn't have jurisdiction over these waters :stare: