So anime lovers.. dubbed? or subbed?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by guitarguy14, Aug 3, 2010.

1. guitarguy14

guitarguy14 Registered Member

which do you prefer your epic japanese shows?
    subtitled?
    or in english?
    or if you can speak japanese, japanese?

2. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I prefer dubbed.

I don't have an issue with subtitles but I prefer not reading text while watching a tv show.

I have a hard time switching to a subtitled show if I have seen it dubbed but not vice versa.

The dub would have to be pretty horrendous for me to choose subtitles.

Bleach's dub is pretty close to that threshold.

3. Encoder

Encoder Registered Member

I prefer mine dubbed as well, sometimes I find it headaching to read the subtitles and I miss all the action.

4. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

Subtitled, a good majority of American voice actors for dubs don't fit the character as well as their Japanese counterparts. So I'm perfectly find with having to deal with a language that I can't understand just because I can understand the emotion easier.

5. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Subbed, i actually love the japanese language, and i find that the expressions and everything fits better, seeing how they for most of the times are portraits of japanese characters and sound totally off in english or any other language.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I prefer subbed, but in English. Let me explain, haha. They would show anime here dubbed in French. I don't like the sound of it. And I do watch a lot of other foreign language movies, not just anime, and my rule is to see the ones showing it in VOST (original version, subtitled). For anime though, I usually buy the DVDs and the regular priced ones would have an option for FR/ENG subs. I prefer reading English. However, these dvds can be pricey especially when buying boxsets. So sometimes I'd get those discounted ones but have no other version but french dubbed.

7. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Subs win for me. I also feel the same about foreign films, dubs just feel so artificial. However I find it easier to watch dubbed anime than dubbed films (probabaly because I saw so much kiddy Americanised Anime during my childhood). When it comes to anime dubs aren't a deal breaker, sometimes the english language voice actors do a really good job. I always prefer authenticity though.

8. NoMoreHotDogs

NoMoreHotDogs Registered Member

I don't usually have a preference, but some English dubs just get on my nerves (annoying voices, above all). Otherwise, I'm fine with either.

9. Unition

Unition Registered Member

Dubbed. I love Japanese, it's a beautiful, beautiful language, but I can't stand having to read off the screen the entire duration of an episode. I'd rather be able to do something on the side (like eat or do homework [not that I like doing homework]) and still be able to hear what's going on.

Also (as we all know [obviously]) English and Japanese don't use the same tones in their voice when they speak, so when I hear japanese while reading english, I can never attach the right emotions to what's being said unless It's obvious.

10. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

I love subbed. Most of the time the English dubs can't capture the emotions.