• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Snowboarding For The First Time

tater03

Registered Member
I did this for the first time this past winter. Although I will have to admit I spent more time on my butt I had a blast. I didn't go until the end of the season so next year I am hoping to get out there and practice this more. I am thinking about taking a class for beginners that our resort here offers. Has anyone ever takin any of the beginners classes. Just curious if it is worth the money?

chipinoh

My daughter took a beginner's class the first time we went. It gave her enough confidence to get out on the hills, so I'd say it was worth it.

tater03

Registered Member
That's what I need is more confidence. So I think I will just bite the bullet and take a beginners class. Thanks for the information.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never took the class and that probably explains why I busted myself up on a lot of falls my first time. I actually am planning to take the class the next time I go though so I would recommend doing that if you can. The class is cheaper than paying for a broken arm or worse. :)

chipinoh

The class is cheaper than paying for a broken arm or worse. :)
Too true! I broke my arm skateboarding last May, & it was no fun. It takes a little longer to bounce back from injuries as I creep toward 40 (& points north, pretty soon).

ACCER

Registered Member
It's addictive! I padded myself up a lot at first but now I don't worry about it so much. Though I still have to remember not to try and catch myself with my hands (that's how I broke my wrists). Though it the cast is on right, it makes a great catch!

FourBear

For living in a snow belt region, I find it incredible that I've never been snowboarding. I don't have fear or anything...honestly, I don't know why I never got around to trying. I wanted to go for the first time this past winter, but the season was so short!

ACCER

Registered Member
Andrew,
It was a case of "Oh, it doesn't hurt, I can go back out".....then while favouring the right wrist, I fell and snapped the left one. The left was the worst because I twisted on impact.

The problem then was that the weight of the casts threw my balance off. Yes, I went back out (my theory at the time being "What else could possibly happen?"...

Last edited:

ACCER

Registered Member
Four Bear,
You have to try this, it's a blast. But if you fall, fall correctly. Don't try to catch yourself, there really is no point.