Snow/Plane crash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Major, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

So we've gotten at least a foot of snow here in Chicago already and it's still snowing. They were calling for only 2-4 inches. A Southwest Airlines flight from Baltimore to Chicago slid off the runway at Midway Airport and crashed through the wall and out onto the street, crushing a car. I fly Southwest from Midway to BWI and back like every year, so that's kinda crazy. Anyway, it's all over all the news channels right now. Sounds like everybody on the plane is ok. Haven't heard anything about the people in the car.

2. yooperchick

yooperchick Registered Member

That is so scary. I am surprised that they didn't shut everything down with all that snow. Isn't that normally what happens in the bigger cities with a lot of snow (ease of plowing, etc.)?

3. RossDude

RossDude Beep

I JUST saw that on the news. I heard that there were two people in the car, a father and son, and that the father was badly injured. That is all they mentioned about them, though.

4. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

No necessarily. It depends on how much it is snowing and whether they can keep the runways mostly cleaned off. It also depends on how the plane is landed to whether it overruns the runway. (which was the case in this instance.)

5. LaRazaUnida

LaRazaUnida Registered Member

And that is why they say planes are safer than cars.....Plane vs Car "Round 1, GO!"

But I really do hope that the families in the 2 cars end up ok...I know 2 are in critical, and 1 in serious.

6. Major

According to the Chicago Tribune, the 6 year old boy was killed and 11 others were injured. I still can't believe they were trying to land in those conditions.

7. Wrecked

Wrecked Registered Member

that's very sad.

i watch the news once in a while and still haven't heard about this.

hope that the other 11 injured make a full recovery.

8. ltk9492

ltk9492 Registered Member

I read this in the newspaper, unbelievable. that happened here in FL, but not from snow. wow im sure you all know, but the young child, 6 years old, died. The plane skid off the runway into Central ave and it hit the car with a father and son, the son died. he was only 6 too. That dad must be in a sh**ty mood for christmas...

9. LaRazaUnida

LaRazaUnida Registered Member

Really? I would think for him to be in a jolly mood because he is saving money on Xmas...unless he already bought gifts:stare: I was just messing with you ltk, but you are completly right. And the worst thing about it is that none of it was his fault. There was nothing he could do to save his son, it made him weak and unable to aid his child. I feel sorry for all of the families but I feel very sorry for the Dad and his child.

When I have kids someday, I beg that nothing ever happens to any of them. Especailly during this time. I lost a cousin who was practically a sister and best friend to me who had lived with us. She passed away the week of Thanksgiving, 2 days before. This was a few years ago. It really is hard and takes a toll on you both physically and mentally.

10. Major

I think Midway Airport is in way too crowded of a location. It really doesn't fit. It's all crammed in between some really busy roads. There's no way a plane should be able to slide off the runway and out onto the road. I don't know if any of you guys have been there, but there's a wall right next to the road, and then literally right on the other side of the wall is the end of the runway. Obviously the wall wasn't enough protection.