Snow Car

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
Ok, so my dad told me to get rid of my Talon (which is falling apart). So I need to find a cheap snow car/ truck whatever. I could care less in terms of looks, It just needs to be dependable and go anywhere... Also I'm poor, so shoot for no more than $1000. Gracias, it will be much appreciated.

Think of it as an all out search for a forum poster in need.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have you looked at used Subarus? They are pretty solid in the snow and you can usually find them for a decent price. Might be a bit more than $1,000 but if you look around you should be able to find one in decent shape for around that price.

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
Yea, Ive found a few Subarus, but most of them have been heavily abused around here (lots of salt filled winters). I know they do great in the snow, but Id like to know about anything, even front wheel drive, that does well in the snow as well.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well most things will be better than a Talon when it comes to driving in the snow. You could also look into an older Blazer, Jimmy, Jeep, Explorer, etc. I don't know what the foreign car companies have to offer for snow besides Subaru but maybe somebody else can toss some ideas out there.

Then there is the option of a truck with sandbags in the bed.

But now that I think about it, how much snow are we talking about? I'd suggest a few front wheel drive cars but if you are going to need to go through a foot or more of snow at a time then those will do you no good. I hear Maryland get get dumped on pretty badly at times.

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
Yea, Maryland gets hit pretty hard. I am willing to get a front wheel drive. I say this becaue my dad drove an 87 Nissan Pulsar for years when he worked at Cripple Creek Mining Company. If anyones been out in Colorado in the winter, they know how horrid those roads can be. Long as the snow didnt get up over the bumper he was fine. So I have faith in the front wheel drive system, and if the snow got that high I wouldnt be out in it anyway.

Colezy

Registered Member
My mate from CO Springs says that a Honda CRX Or an Acura Integra are both great in snow and ice as long as you dont hit the brakes to make you start skidding