• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Snow, can you handle lots of it?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I do fine with up to a foot providing it doesn't stay around too long, a few inches doesn't bother me at all but when you are talking about several feet I can't stand it. It drives me nuts to have it around. It disrupts my life too much. Hate it when the power goes off especially for days. Thank god I haven't had to deal with that much snow too many times in my life.

I don't see how the people in Buffalo are dealing with so much. Roofs are collapsing from the weight. I heard one report that the weight of the snow forced a back door open and poured into their house. You know they must be miserable. That much snow would make me nuts.

Do you deal well with lots of snow?

Snow plunged off one family’s roof with such force that it blew in the back door, filling a room with snow.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Bu...rews+ditch+vehicles+carry/10394614/story.html

dDave

V.I.P.
Most I've seen is 2.5-3 feet. We had a crazy bad storm some years back. Everything was shut down for days and days.

I really like the snow. This may sound strange but I enjoy driving in the snow as well.

Shoveling a lot of snow can take some time but it's also a great workout. That's a big plus for the winter time because it can be hard to find the right time to go outside to get some exercise.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I deal with snow the same way as every other Canadian, dig and complain.
It's different though for places where heavy snow is not the norm. The buildings and infrastructure aren't built for it, and neither are the people. With climate change and subsequent weather chaos becoming more prevalent worldwide it's going to become necessary for cities to build for all weather situations and have snow plows, sandbags, and drainage pumps at the ready. I think I've seen enough now to be persuaded that we've reached a tipping point in the global climate situation.

- Cham

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Somebody forgot to use a roof rake. Its easy to keep snow off the roof and its fun when it cascades down! But it needs to be done before the snow on the roof gets too deep. Same for driveways and stuff. Always shovel the snow before it gets too deep and use sodium chloride for ice.

As for me I love snow! Ive crashed down in powder snow and got buried and its fun digging out. But yeah not easy to walk in when its up to your waist or more... but still fun! When we had huge snows I was always outside more than inside but we got trapped in the house for a few days sometimes but I got out using the attic window.

Btw anyone thats expecting snow should use a snowmobile and not cars since you can buy retractable wheels. We got stranding in cars in snow and had to walk but snowmobiles FTW! With the retractable wheels they ride on anything.

But now all we have is a huge thunderstorm and cold rain. :( I wish it was snow.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've noticed when you are in places that get a lot of snow their roofs are very steep. Around here they aren't so if we got that much snow many peoples roof would collapse. Not to mention we would be without electric for possibly days.

Then I can't imagine having to walk in that much snow to see about the livestock. I know a foot can be hard to walk in more would be torture.

If its not a lot of snow time to get out the sled. Boy have I had some close calls on that sucker. End up in the creek, almost ran into a tree, my son did when he was little. Start from upon the side of the hill behind our house and you can get to going fast.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I can handle a certain amount of snow, as an amateur photographer I love it and would love to see it more. The problem is as a country we cannot handle it, like, at all. Seriously. We are so f**ked up as a country when it comes to bad weather! If we get a little bit on the roads they shut down. If we get a tiny bit on the railways the network goes off-line and god help you if you want to get a flight...

I may be over simplifying it, it may be I simply don't know enough but I do know that I do not see many other countries shutting down for weeks at a time over a little bit of snow.

Oh, one side note and a nice little story showing that sometimes justice does exist. A few years ago we had a decent snow fall, some cars were abandoned because they could not be removed and so some idiotic moro... I mean traffic wardens put parking tickets on peoples cars, when it came to court the judge ripped up the tickets and basically told the traffic wardens to stop being huge dicks. It's nice to see some people still have common sense.

dDave

V.I.P.

This is generally how the snow situation in the USA is viewed. :lol:

The UK is pretty far north. I would have thought that y'all would be used to driving in the snow. Then again, the UK has many tiny cars. Where I live we have AWD and 4WD everywhere. Doesn't really help you stop but it does give you more control and helps you not get stuck.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know down south they can get a dusting and act like oh no I can't drive on this and they can't. They have no idea how to drive on snow. I lived in a place like that and I learned to stay home if I could. Not because of the snow but someone would run over you because they won't slow down or start braking sooner than they normally would.

If I had never driven on snow I think I would be extra cautious instead of driving like normal.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Yeah, I sorta have to. I mean, Vermont doesn't get buried every winter but we definitely get enough that it becomes a pain in the ass.

dDave

V.I.P.
We got 4-5 inches of hail the other day. Yeah, you read that right. HAIL. It did not go well. Most of the roads were completely impassable.

Shortly after that all melted we got 5 inches of the wettest snow I have ever seen. The weight of it destroyed lots of trees.

I feel like I was doing fine with all of that but not everyone was. Heard a lot of people complaining about how they were stuck.