SNL Blasts Obama as Accomplishing Nothing

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Last Saturday on SNL they blasted Obama pretty hard for his accomplishments so far as president.

"When you look at my record it's very clear what I've done so far -- and that is nothing." - SNL Obama

So, two questions:

1. Is such humor ok?
    2. Does this mean the honeymoon is over?

CNN spent a good amount of air time blasting SNL for this skit. Doesn't CNN have better things to do than report on the content of comedy programs?

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

No it doesn't, CNN only pretends to be a news station.

Yes such humor is ok, it wasn't a low blow or anything. Pretty much everyone is fair game to SNL. I don't think the honeymoon is over, the media will continue to gush over Obama regardless of what SNL does.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Simply, yes.

I've always hated the phrase with a passion. There is no "honeymoon".

No, they don't.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't really notice the media "gushing" over him, to be honest. Nobel Peace Prize notwithstanding.

5. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

What's wrong with the humor? They make fun of everyone and anybody ever since they've started making the show. They shouldn't just stop now because Obama is our president,and lets face it, black.

6. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

As far as comedy goes, nobody is off limits. If someone does something remotely silly or stupid, I want to laugh at it! I watch shows such as SNL, The Daily Show, and Conan on a regular basis...Obama has never been 'off limits.'

My opinion is that if people are not on the constant attack against Obama as with Fox News, they're "mainstream" and "biased." So, they could just report news with a completely flat affect and just be stating literal facts, and still be attacked by Hannity and the like. The "liberal media" is a boogeyman that doesn't exist. It seems nowadays that there are far more loud conservative pundits yelling their point of view over the entire American discussion.

Also, no 24-Hour networks are actually news most of the time...at some points in between their constant editorials they're actually just talking about things that have happened and listing facts (as news is supposed to be), but the rest is usually opinion and should be taken as such - especially with Fox News on the far right and MSNBC on the left.

SuiGeneris likes this.
  7. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm pretty sure SNL has done more offensive sketch comedy in the past to blow this one out of the waters, so they shouldn't be blasted for something this small.

~Shwa

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

First off, *applaudes* Unity, loved the post, completely agree.

If we can't laugh about everything in our country we're screwed. Really, I mean if you look at everything from an objective point of view, there is some funny shit that happens on a daily basis to people of all "status." Putting a president off limits or a group of people is just silly. Comedy has grown to hold such esteem in this country, and I don't think much of the media understands that. Comedy is one of the prime influences on American culture now...scary or wonderful? You decide.

I'm tired of hearing about the "news" programs ripping on comedy shows or people in general. Since when was "political news" or "news" in general about attacks against someone? All that news is, or was created to be was: the factual account of a happening. There is no room for opinion in new reporting, that goes along with something called journalistic integrity, which is way beyound dead now. I'm sick of it.

HOneymoon? Tch, there is no such thing as a honeymoon for a president.

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

SNL's impersonator is horrible, I dare say I could do a better barrack impersonation than that. I mean it's like the guy doesn't even try.

Iman on the other hand is absolutely brilliant. I actually saw the "Whatever I like" paradoy the night he put it down. I was laughing so hard. I've got to say I love the guy, he does brilliant work. So funny.