• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV SNL 40 Special

willge87

Registered Member
Did anyone else watch this yesterday? I felt that 1/2 of the show as great while the other 1/2 was pretty good.

What I liked:

- The BassOMatic commercial re-created with Dan Ackroyd. The concept of blending a fish was disgustingly hilarious.
- The Celebrity Jeopardy was great (Who is Andre the Giant); Hammond as Connery was great as usual, but Kate McKinnon was awesome as Justin Bieber.
- Garrett Morris yelling while Chevy Chase was talking.
- Wayne's World
- Colon Blow

What I didn't like:

- The Californians was stupid.
- Didn't care for Melissa McCarthy doing Matt Foley, there is only one person who should be doing that character and sadly he is no longer with us.
- Why did Kanye and Miley get so much screen time?
- Might have taken too long, but let each of the former cast members present come out and take a bow.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I watched about an hour of it. I did love the Jeopardy skit, but I have to disagree with McKinnon as Bieber. Yes, she did a great job, but it wasn't funny. The Who is Andre The Giant bit was funny. Loved how the WWE Twitter account quoted it. Sean Connery was priceless as usual.

Murphy coming out to accept applause and then not even do a few riffs was crazy disappointing. When he fumbled the cut to commercial, I figured he was about to break into a bit, but he was actually fumbling the cut to commercial.

Chevy Chase did not look good, either during his red carpet appearance with Carson Daly or when he came on stage. He looked unhealthy and a bit disoriented.

The Californinans was horrendous.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
I thought the first hour was some of the best television I have ever seen and the other two and half were more like a regular SNL Show some enjoyable, some not so much. Timberlake and Fallon in the opener was really a nice start and I agree with the other comments so far as for the good and bad.

This morning I've agreed to part with a shiny new nickle to the first person to get video taped running down Boylston St in Boston screaming "Le Tits Now"!!!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thought I would put this in this thread. Rolling Stone magazine decided to rank every cast member of Saturday Night Live:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/sa ... d-20150211

From the comments I've read all over different boards, people believe that Hartman was the best. I think Hartman was a comedic genius that not many people understood. I've only seen a few skits of him on SNL, so I can't really judge if Belushi was the best.

Thoughts?

willge87

Registered Member
John Belushi was a very funny guy and it wouldn't be a complete insult to Hartman if he were to be ranked #2 behind him. The problem that I have watching some of the 1975-1980 episodes is that I don't necessarily get all the pop culture references that are made and thus some of the humor is lost on me. For whatever reason, I ended up being more aware of pop culture from 1986 to 1994 so I'm able to understand more from Hartman's era.

If we are talking about the top SNL performers then Belushi and Hartman are very likely in the top 5. You also have to factor in Eddie Murphy and Dana Carvey somewhere. Will Ferrell is a more controversial figure as there are some who would rank him in the top 5 and some who never understood his humor. The era of the show of which he was a part is probably the most controversial in terms of quality.

As for the Rolling Stone list and a few others that I've read, I've seen a tendency to pick on Victoria Jackson. Now, I don't think she was an elite talent on the show (far from it), but I feel the low ranking is politically motivated. She may be nuts nowadays, but that shouldn't influence the ranking of her as a cast member, which I'd put more middle of the pack.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I really wish I had watched this. But stupid me decided to watch the NBA All-Star game instead...and I don't even like basketball :x

thegreatone1964

Registered Member
The list just baffles me. I realize that you are "ranking" comedians, so personal taste is involved, but.....

Way too low: Colin Quinn, Norm McDonald, Bobby Moynihan, Joe Piscopo, Kevin Nealon, Will Forte, Darryl Hammond, Taran Killam
Ranked highly but still too low -- Sandler, Farley, Ferrell, Hartman.

Moynihan is ranked with people who no one even remembers and is ranked 6 slots lower than the "group" rating for the new cast (81-92). His like 6 years at SNL rank him worse than the WORST cast member who has never done anything? Quinn and McDonald were funny news anchors - they are ranked 100 spots lower than Dennis Miller and 130 spots below Tina Fey.

The list of people that are ranked far too high is much longer, so I will limit myself to 10 --
Brooks Whelan at #73 HE WAS ALMOST NEVER ON SCREEN!!!
Jenny Slate, did nothing, was quickly fired.
Casey Wilson was almost criminally underused, ranks #71.
Chris Parnell? He was almost fired every year, yet ranks 17 spots above Forte and 24 above Nealon?
Kazurinsky is viewed as an example of how low the show sunk during his time frame -- #32 overall????
Rock - did almost nothing on the show.
Tracy Morgan - same.
Rachel Dratch at 16? So, she was roughly the equivalent of Sandler and Ferrell and Farley? O.........K
Mike Meyers at #4. Hey, he is a top 10-15 guy, but #4? He is significantly better than Hartman or Farley or Ferrell? "Schwing" really does it for you?
Tina Fey at #3? I love Tina Fey, but if you had to say who had more on screen importance, her or Joe Piscopo, it isn't close.

Strange, strange list.

willge87

Registered Member
I never found Tina Fey to be particularly funny. It was cool to make fun of Sarah Palin and that was her big boost. I don't understand what Amy Poehler is doing in the Top 10 either ahead of people like Carvey and Ferrell.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm in totally agreement about Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are not funny whatsoever. I never understood the fascination with them - they watered down SNL in my opinion.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Bizzy said:
Thought I would put this in this thread. Rolling Stone magazine decided to rank every cast member of Saturday Night Live:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/sa ... d-20150211

From the comments I've read all over different boards, people believe that Hartman was the best. I think Hartman was a comedic genius that not many people understood. I've only seen a few skits of him on SNL, so I can't really judge if Belushi was the best.

Thoughts?
Loved Hartman. He was just great. The way words just rolled off of his tongue.