• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sniper programs

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Has anyone else used sniper programs to bid at the last second? My brother just started using one and he keeps saying it is the best thing he has used for bidding in a while. I don't bid on a lot of auctions, but when I do I usually win if I want to. I guess the convenience would be if the item ends in the middle of the night or something.

Anyway, has anyone else dabbled with these?

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
I've never used sniper proggies. I am like you, if there is an item that I want I have always won it just by bidding myself in the last seconds. I think I am pretty good at it now hehe :lol: I havent lost one yet doing it that way.

but I think they would be useful for auctions that end in the middle of the night. up until now I have not cared to much about that. if it ended in the middle of the night I didn't want it that bad anyway lol

Nanner

Registered Member
I don't really know how exactly they work but I'd be worried they would bid too high. Say there is an item you really really want (within reason) and would pay ohhh say 500 bucks for it. What if the thing goes up to 5000 and your program outbids that?

Nanner

Registered Member
Hey Bunny....I'll make ya a deal. I'll bid on anything you want in the middle of the night and you bid on things I want in the early A.M? K? :D

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow, well I just lost an auction at the last second.. I sniped but it wasn't high enough. It's nothing a sniper program would have won though because I still would have had the same high bid. Oh well.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
Nanner said:
Hey Bunny....I'll make ya a deal. I'll bid on anything you want in the middle of the night and you bid on things I want in the early A.M? K? :D
LOL Nanner that sounds like a great deal! : )

Lorak27

Registered Member
I have used them before because I often can't get to my computer to bid at the last minute. But ... I admit I've never used one I had to pay for. The one I use, you get like 3 or 4 free a week which more than meets my needs. I just put in my maximum amount I am willing to bid and forget about it until its over.

leopard22

Registered Member
Nanner said:
I don't really know how exactly they work but I'd be worried they would bid too high. Say there is an item you really really want (within reason) and would pay ohhh say 500 bucks for it. What if the thing goes up to 5000 and your program outbids that?
I think you set the max amount you want to bid with a sniper program, so there's no danger of it spending your inheritance on a Pez dispenser :D

I always do my sniping in person. I've heard through the grapevine that eBay is looking to ban sniper programs. Some people even think that sniping manually is not ethical, but I think it's part of the auction process. At an in-person auction, it you don't make a bid in time, you'll lose out on it. I guess the only thing that can make sniping not quite fair is that depending upon your internet connection, you may or may not get your bid in if you're in a tight bidding war and only have a few seconds left in the auction. I've had that happen to me in the past, but usually I'm pretty good at figuring out just how long it's going to take to register my bid and I've got some cool stuff as a result.

Middle of the night auctions are great for bargains, depending of course on what you're looking for and if you can stay awake at the keyboard.

Julie

Registered Member
You can find a lot of different ones on www.download.com. Some are free & some are pay. I went with Bidraider. It's nothing you download, it's just a link to their site: www.bidraider.com. Once registered, if I remember right, they email you something to take their little survey or leave a comment for them on the download.com site...I can't remember which cuz it's been awhile.

Anyway, they update your account on their so you get unlimited snipes for free. And the best part is, it's on a website so you're not having to download yet another program onto your computer. I just have their site saved in my favorites list & use it whenever I want to bid on something.

Sometimes I win & sometimes I lose cuz my bid wasn't high enough, but I've never had a problem with it sniping for me. I definitely give it "2 Thumbs Up":D

Plumley

Registered Member
I used sniper programs a long time ago for eBay. They're wonderful for auctions that end when you're sleeping, busy or not at home. At the time things were a lot more low tech and my program stopped working as there were more advances. I didn't want to go to one that wasn't stand alone and I couldn't find anything similar to what I had so I just did it myself after that.