Snead or Tebow

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Two great College Football quarterbacks that will be playing in the NFL fairly soon, in your opinion who do you believe is going to have the better NFL career? Thoughts and explanations.

2. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

I'm no fan of Tim Tebow, but Jevan Snead couldn't hold Tebow's jock strap.
    He showed last night that if ever does reach the NFL, it sure won't be through the draft. He'll be lucky if one of the perennial cellar dwellers allow him a walk-on tryout.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I was less than impressed by Snead last night. But that doesn't mean he won't go on to have a good season and get drafted. He definitely has the talent to succeed.

Tebow is a stud. He's a winner and I love his intensity. But I don't know if he has what NFL teams look for in a quarterback. I do think he can play at the next level, but as a starter? I don't know.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I think Snead has the skill set that is better suited for the NFL game than Tebow. If I were a college coach, I'd take Tebow. If I were an NFL GM, I'd take Snead.

5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I have no earthly idea who Snead is because I don't watch that much college ball but it seems everytime I'm afflicted with it Tebow plays and there is no way in hell in my opinion that he will do well as a QB for any team. He's an effin RB. He needs to come to grips with it too. Jaquars want to shell out money for that dweeb so be it.

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'm only a casual football fan - could you guys explain to me why one skill set might be great for college, but not what you want in the pros? I don't get that.

Also, I know that in baseball, better players often get overlooked because their skills aren't as flashy. When looking at a pitcher, the people in charge rave about a 95 mph fastball. Often a better pitcher won't throw as hard, but has other, more important attributes. Does that happen in football too? Do they overemphasize things that don't matter that much?

7. Major

Until you watch him play week in and week out I don't think you can say that. Last year he threw for over 2,700 yards, completed over 64% of his passes, and had 30 touchdown passes and just 4 interceptions. His stats were even more impressive the year before when he won the Heisman. 67%, 3,200 yards, 32 TD, 6 INT.

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Tebow isn't running over Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis and Jon Beason in college.

They are trying to improve his footwork and him taking snaps from under center so that he will be looked at as an NFL quarterback and not as a running back. I think more then 50% of NFL scouts are looking at him as a running back because of his style of play.

9. Major

A lot of a quarterback's success in college depends on the talent around him, which is obviously ridiculously high at Florida, and the system the offense runs. Florida, like most college teams these days, runs a spread offense, which is pretty much non-existent in the NFL. A lot of the throws are easier to make than ones in a pro style offense. USC runs a pro style offense, which is why their quarterbacks are always drafted so high. Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez.

Yes, measurables are definitely overemphasized in the NFL. Things like bench press, 40 yard dash. For quarterbacks they look for arm strength, height, and the ability to read defenses.
    ------
    Patrick Willis played in the SEC and Tebow may have played against him his freshman year. My point is that all NFL players played in college at some point. There are plenty of NFL-caliber players in college right now, and especially in the SEC where Tebow is playing. It's not like he's running over high school players.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  10. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I'm not taking anything away from Tebow. I want to see him succeed in the NFL as a quarterback. The SEC always has NFL talent, but it's not going to be as easy for Tebow in the NFL as in college that he's going to run through teams like he can in College.

Tebow is one hell of an athlete and he could play a couple positions.