• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Snakes

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Instead of going off-topic in Crouton's snake bite thread

What kinds of snakes have you owned or seen as pets? What are your favorites?

I had a Burmese python for a while. I was getting squeamish about feeding him, though, so I had to give him away. He was only about 2 feet long when I had him. He was so beautiful. His name was Winslow.

I wanted a ball python but I was told that they're temperamental about eating and sometimes die in captivity because they can be afraid to eat.

A friend of mine had a Colombian red tail boa for a while, then was crazy enough to try to get an emerald boa. It was very pretty but very aggressive.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I never thought that snakes were such common pets that three people on this forum have already said that they own them.

I like looking at snakes in the zoo, but owning one will scare the hell out of me.

I'd love to see your snake pictures!

shelgarr

Registered Member
Is a bite I got off topic? Or is showing the snake that bit me off topic? I'm confused.

This is our pet snake. He is a rosey boa constrictor.

StormyClouds

Registered Member
I have 3 snakes
Phoebe is a Snow Corn
Ripley is a Aztek Corn
Ruby is a pueblan milk snake

My dad has a black king snake. He used to have a yellow anaconda, african rock python, corn snakes, rat snakes and a boa.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I had a normal corn for about 3 or 4 years. I loved that snake, but when I got my dog, I found myself neglecting Seth more and more, so gave him to a really good home where I know he gets the attention i used to give him. I actually fed him prekilled mice though, so I was never bothered by that.

My friend had red tail boa. Amazing snake. Except one day she was walking down the street with it and the wind blew her hair in his face and it scared him enough for him to bite her ear (almost completely off).

Then there was this other guy I knew for a while who had 55 venomous snakes. He was a snake wrangler, so sort of his thing. His Gaboen Viper was about to have babies and he offered me one for free, I was like, yeah, no thanks. His King Cobra was a really amazing creature. Vicious, but amazing.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Oh my God, don't you people ever get scared of seeing a snake popping out from the middle of nowhere? I thought you used to keep it in some tank, or some cage!

"Pet snake"! If I heard a snake hiss all of a sudden, I'd be so spooked :eek:
How common are snake pets?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I never realised how popular snakes are as pets until I got one. In SA, they are very popular. Even venomous snakes as pets is popular (which is madness in some cases). And I can only speak for myself and my own (ex) snake, but when he wasn't in his cage, he would always be on me or within arms length of me. It's not like you can train them to sit or stay. :lol:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
In Australia at least keeping reptiles as pets is VERY common. In almost every single city or town in Australia you will find multiple specialized reptile and amphibian stores that do a lot of business. We also have large expos of people who keep reptiles as pets to gather and trade breeders etc.

In answer to the original question of this thread though I have personally never had a pet snake, but I have been exposed to them my whole life. I live with a mother who has a pretty bad fear of reptiles, especially snakes so that has limited me as ever really keeping them as pets. I currently own a lizard, and have had a lizard before that but no snakes.

I do however expose myself to all type of reptiles as much as I can, and always have. Even though I have never owned my own snake I handle snakes almost on a weekly basis through people I know who have them, wildlife parks, reptile stores, breeders etc etc. I have worked with reptiles before via volunteering at wildlife parks. One day when I no loner live at home I know I will own a lot more lizards and probably a snake or two, but for now I limit my snake activity to outside of the home.