Smoltz to St Louis

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Dave Duncan + John Smoltz = The Perfect fit

I think he'll slip in as the 5th starter and being in the National League and on a team that had many players calling and texting him and asking him to come to St Louis is going to be a great fit.

He's not the same player but I think it makes sense for us.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I think the Cardinals will regret signing him, no offense to Smoltz or anything because he had a great career. But in my opinion he's washed up. I doubt he'll make the Cards starting rotation better. But I could be wrong, he's used to pitch in the National League and it's much easier to pitch in the NL then it is in the AL.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think Boston was a terrible move for Smoltz because he's a nervous guy and Boston is the most critical baseball town in the country. The fans don't even hesitate talking up the players when they see them around and I doubt that's what Smoltz was expecting.

However, Smoltz has also never pitched in the AL until this season so he has faced many batters he has never faced before. Returning to the NL will probably be a great turn for him but he certainly won't be the Atlanta Brave Smoltz of old.

4. Millz

I dont see how the Cardinals will ever "regret" signing him because it is costing us $100,000 for him to be our 5th starter...that's nothing. And hell, he's better then the options we've tried like Mitchell Boggs, PJ Walters and Todd Wellemeyer.

He's a veteran, he's a proven winner and might be the best postseason pitcher in history. He's not the same guy as back then but we've seen Dave Duncan turn veterans into great players (see Woody Williams and Jeff Weaver, to name a couple).

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

This is a fine move by St. Louie. They're paying next to nothing for him. The NL is supposed to be noticeably easier to pitch in than the AL, and he's used to the NL. And he can help younger pitchers by being a mentor.

Worst case scenario? They didn't lose much. Best case? They got a good deal.

6. Millz

Yep, completely agree.

Kyle Lohse pulled a groin yesterday and is probably going on the DL so Smoltz might be relied upon even moreso now.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I know there not spending a lot of money on him, but if he pitches really bad and loses game for you then that 100,000 will look like a lot of money. That's why I say they might be regret signing him.

8. Millz

We can afford having that happen though...we currently own a 7 game lead in the division and we are only guaranteeing him two starts and then we'll reevaluate it from there.

But with Lohse going down we really need him to be solid haha

9. Millz

John Smoltz' first start for the Cardinals was this afternoon against the Padres in San Diego...

Here's his line:

5 innings
    0 runs
    3 hits
    0 Walks
    9 strikeouts

He also struck out 7 straight Padre batters...

Not too shabby I'd say...;)

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Smoltz is one of my favorite players. I hope he keeps doing well!