• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

smoking.....

TGirl

Registered Member
I have seen a few threads lately about smokers/smoking and I thought I would start a thread on my side of the ballgame here.....I believe all opinions are important, but this is not a thread to be mean or judgmental...this is a place to state your Opinion....you never know, you may make a difference!
Please keep all unkind words and judgmental accusations to yourself....I don't want to be the person that started a war....but please state your opinion....

I hate smoking as well......although I am a smoker.....and believe me I wish I weren’t...but you don't know that!!!!

I grew up in a family of Non-Smokers....tell me how this happened??? I can honestly say although I feel I portray leadership qualities (don't laugh) I can be a follower as well....and it does start in school...I was 16 when I started to smoke and I am 32 soon......ugggggggggg not only is it a drag to panic when you have one left in your pack...but it also is to hear "mama why do you smoke?" "Mama, will you stop smoking for me?" I CAN'T EVEN QUIT FOR ME HOW CAN I QUIT FOR HER??? MY BABY!!! THAT IS Soooo SAD!!....

Most non smokers do not understand how hard it is and what kind of person smokes...all they can see is that everyone should quit and now the last few years use the "you are threatening my life when you smoke" routine....and some say it like that was OUR WHOLE PLAN WAS TO KILL OFF THE POPULATION WITH OUR SECOND HAND SMOKE....My intention is not to threaten your life or even mine for that matter....I just do it....I am addicted.....its kinda like telling a overeater to stop eating because it bothers you to look at them...ugggg I have heard that before....do you think they like it??? Don't you think they wish they could stop??? just like smoking....it is hard to quit...these are habits, they are conditions...we have conditioned our bodies to need these things....just like the person that can not go a day without a diet coke or some kind of soda...its not good for you and you know it, but you do it anyway.....

I try not to overeat anymore...I eat lots of greens and fresh fruits and veggies....I work out almost daily...I never drink pop/Soda....( i miss mountain dew) I drink about 14 8 ounces glasses of water a day...I am getting pretty fit....but I have a downfall I smoke...

I have tried to quit more than probably two dozen times and I failed. I HAVE DONE DRINKS...PILLS...PERSCRIPTION PILLS....4 DIFFERENT PATCHES..I HAVE DONE AWFUL INJECTIONS and AUQUPUNTURE...and to tell you the honest truth after my surgery two years ago...my doctor ordered me to go smoke I was so stressed out (had a hard time knowing I could not have anymore babies, but I had to have the surgery. There was no choice)....he even unhooked my Ivy pole from the wall and got me in the wheel chair....and he is the one that nagged at me the most to quit....and although this is hard to believe for the "non smokers" it is truly a sanity and nervous condition...I have had my hubby put one in my mouth after a day or two just to shut me up.....you can say what you want about me and I could care less, because I still have the "It's a free country attitude" but your words could never kill me and irritate me more than when the person that brings up the issue is your own KID!!!! We hear it every day and we wish we could just do it, just stop....but it is so hard....<frown>

So although I do sympathize with your concerns on smoking....there is nothing a stranger can say or do to change another’s lifestyle.....would you stop eating if I told you it could kill you? Or that you can get Obese diabetes? And eventually loose your legs??? Howabout this one...If I told you that you could acquire Leukemia from eating to many hotdogs because of what they use in them...would ya stop or stop feeding your children them???? Now these are things that have happened in my family...to me over eating is worse than smoking...some will not agree with me....but there is to many complications that come from over eating than smoking.....there is research out there if you are interested....but I don't go around telling people my aunt died because she ate to much and her heart could not take her weight anymore she was 240 pounds....my other aunt died on the operating table during her leg amputation...she was 220 pounds....my niece died last year of leukemia at the age of 19 because she had to much of a chemical in her body used in hotdogs ( not sure that is where she got it, but that is what the doctor said to us..the same chemical) her body could not fight this and acquired Leukemia in the process because of her white blood count became deformed and caused a domino effect...she fought this for two years......I am not trying to get any sympathy here at all.....These are just facts.....

Did you know that everyone is born with Cancer cells. They are either active or non active.....if they are active you will get cancer...you don't even have to do anything special to get it....you will just get it....did you know that there is testing now for your daughter...you can take her in as soon after her first cycle and have her tested forrrrrrrrrrrrr breast cancer cells....they can tell you if your daughter will have breast cancer now....before it even happens.....

I am not trying at all to justify what I do......I hate it myself....but it is not as easy to quit as you may think....I hope that someday I can...not only for my health and my families....but I would save a ton in money.....

Has anyone seen David Crowe in person??? Stand up Comedian...he is so funny. He does this smoking bit.....he is a non smoker and when people smoke around him he does not tell them to stop...he just takes a big drink of water and sprays it all over everyone....and if they say anything to him he says I don't like how you smoke and you don't like how I drink water......I guess you just have to see it.....soooo funny...

ok I hope that I did not offend anyone this is just how I see it......

please feel free to comment.....

~Trina~

kromsales

Registered Member
I second everything you said!!!! And want to add...smoking is not illegal...untill it is I have every right to do it.

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
TGirl said:
I have seen a few threads lately about smokers/smoking and I thought I would start a thread on my side of the ballgame here.....I believe all opinions are important, but this is not a thread to be mean or judgmental...this is a place to state your Opinion....you never know, you may make a difference!
Please keep all unkind words and judgmental accusations to yourself....I don't want to be the person that started a war....but please state your opinion....

I hate smoking as well......although I am a smoker.....and believe me I wish I weren’t...but you don't know that!!!!

I grew up in a family of Non-Smokers....tell me how this happened??? I can honestly say although I feel I portray leadership qualities (don't laugh) I can be a follower as well....and it does start in school...I was 16 when I started to smoke and I am 32 soon......ugggggggggg not only is it a drag to panic when you have one left in your pack...but it also is to hear "mama why do you smoke?" "Mama, will you stop smoking for me?" I CAN'T EVEN QUIT FOR ME HOW CAN I QUIT FOR HER??? MY BABY!!! THAT IS Soooo SAD!!....

Most non smokers do not understand how hard it is and what kind of person smokes...all they can see is that everyone should quit and now the last few years use the "you are threatening my life when you smoke" routine....and some say it like that was OUR WHOLE PLAN WAS TO KILL OFF THE POPULATION WITH OUR SECOND HAND SMOKE....My intention is not to threaten your life or even mine for that matter....I just do it....I am addicted.....its kinda like telling a overeater to stop eating because it bothers you to look at them...ugggg I have heard that before....do you think they like it??? Don't you think they wish they could stop??? just like smoking....it is hard to quit...these are habits, they are conditions...we have conditioned our bodies to need these things....just like the person that can not go a day without a diet coke or some kind of soda...its not good for you and you know it, but you do it anyway.....

I try not to overeat anymore...I eat lots of greens and fresh fruits and veggies....I work out almost daily...I never drink pop/Soda....( i miss mountain dew) I drink about 14 8 ounces glasses of water a day...I am getting pretty fit....but I have a downfall I smoke...

I have tried to quit more than probably two dozen times and I failed. I HAVE DONE DRINKS...PILLS...PERSCRIPTION PILLS....4 DIFFERENT PATCHES..I HAVE DONE AWFUL INJECTIONS and AUQUPUNTURE...and to tell you the honest truth after my surgery two years ago...my doctor ordered me to go smoke I was so stressed out (had a hard time knowing I could not have anymore babies, but I had to have the surgery. There was no choice)....he even unhooked my Ivy pole from the wall and got me in the wheel chair....and he is the one that nagged at me the most to quit....and although this is hard to believe for the "non smokers" it is truly a sanity and nervous condition...I have had my hubby put one in my mouth after a day or two just to shut me up.....you can say what you want about me and I could care less, because I still have the "It's a free country attitude" but your words could never kill me and irritate me more than when the person that brings up the issue is your own KID!!!! We hear it every day and we wish we could just do it, just stop....but it is so hard....<frown>

So although I do sympathize with your concerns on smoking....there is nothing a stranger can say or do to change another’s lifestyle.....would you stop eating if I told you it could kill you? Or that you can get Obese diabetes? And eventually loose your legs??? Howabout this one...If I told you that you could acquire Leukemia from eating to many hotdogs because of what they use in them...would ya stop or stop feeding your children them???? Now these are things that have happened in my family...to me over eating is worse than smoking...some will not agree with me....but there is to many complications that come from over eating than smoking.....there is research out there if you are interested....but I don't go around telling people my aunt died because she ate to much and her heart could not take her weight anymore she was 240 pounds....my other aunt died on the operating table during her leg amputation...she was 220 pounds....my niece died last year of leukemia at the age of 19 because she had to much of a chemical in her body used in hotdogs ( not sure that is where she got it, but that is what the doctor said to us..the same chemical) her body could not fight this and acquired Leukemia in the process because of her white blood count became deformed and caused a domino effect...she fought this for two years......I am not trying to get any sympathy here at all.....These are just facts.....

Did you know that everyone is born with Cancer cells. They are either active or non active.....if they are active you will get cancer...you don't even have to do anything special to get it....you will just get it....did you know that there is testing now for your daughter...you can take her in as soon after her first cycle and have her tested forrrrrrrrrrrrr breast cancer cells....they can tell you if your daughter will have breast cancer now....before it even happens.....

I am not trying at all to justify what I do......I hate it myself....but it is not as easy to quit as you may think....I hope that someday I can...not only for my health and my families....but I would save a ton in money.....

Has anyone seen David Crowe in person??? Stand up Comedian...he is so funny. He does this smoking bit.....he is a non smoker and when people smoke around him he does not tell them to stop...he just takes a big drink of water and sprays it all over everyone....and if they say anything to him he says I don't like how you smoke and you don't like how I drink water......I guess you just have to see it.....soooo funny...

ok I hope that I did not offend anyone this is just how I see it......

please feel free to comment.....

~Trina~

Ahhhh very good thread!!!

Ok, Me? I am a non smoker. When I was a little girl, both my parents smoked, shoot EVERYONE smoked! My mom and dad would have friends over and the house would fill up with so much smoke it was like a thick fog in the house. I would get down on my all fours and crawl around the floor to get some clean air! I HATED IT! Smoke gave me terrible headaches. And we'd all get in the car to go somewhere and they'd light up.......and i'd be like UGH crack a window, and yeah they'd crack it, a small tiny crack.......sheesh like that is going to help any! I tried smoking (peer pressure) as a teen. Vantage Menthol 100's!! LOL I'd get the worst headache, but I'd do it anyway so I could fit in! Thankfully I gave in to the headaches and told my freinds to kiss my rear!! Haven't had one since........

I dont usually "preach" to people if they smoke. I hope that they have enough curtousy to either go outside or move away from me with it.

What I dont like though, is sitting in a non smoking area and someone light up like they are not doing anything wrong. Most people aren't that way though, and most places now dont allow you to smoke inside anyway. I guess that is bad for the smokers and very inconvient, but it makes my head feel better.

:)

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Ahhh, Trina you sweet kooky girl. I have nothing against smokers (only those who do it outside a funeral home, I just think it's disrepectful) I smoked for 10 years, but still drink like a fish at times. See, we all have addictions, things we feel we can't live without. I have a very addictive personality, so it's very hard for me to stop anything once I've started.
Yes, I was lucky enough to be able to quit. When we bought our new home I didn't allow myself to smoke inside, after a while the cig's started tasting bad, or so I convinced myself (maybe because I felt like all my neighbors were frowning at me). Anyways, one Monday I ran out and just never bought another pack.
I try not to judge others, (I said try, I don't always succeed) smokers do not bother me, because I was one and therefore do not feel I have the right to frown on those who still are.

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
kromsales said:
I second everything you said!!!! And want to add...smoking is not illegal...untill it is I have every right to do it.

Well now Kromes that depends on what your smoking!! LOL

angelspeak said:
. See, we all have addictions
So true!! And maybe one day we can all talk about those!! I have had a very interesting past........(as my husbands murder indicates).....we were wild kids........i grew out of most of it by my 20's, he did not.........

but anyway........

Last edited:

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
TGirl,

Well I know how hard it is to quit smoking and I also know how bad that addiction is. My husband as many know died from Cancer. He smoked right up until he died! that is how bad it was for him. He tried to quit for years and was not successful. His brothers would get mad at him in the hospital and I would have to stop them. What good is it to get on someone's case about it and stress them out when they are already ill? I would push him outside in his wheelchair so that he could smoke a cigarette. I hated doing that but I would bite my tongue. my thoughts at that point were it was the the only thing that he had left that he could enjoy so let him enjoy it. He couldn't eat or drink. He basically starved to death. But to sit there and watch someone you love go through this is just horrible. So that is why I can't stand to see people smoke. It just drives me crazy how bad the addiction is and how much control it has over people's lives. I used to smoke for almost 10 years but when I decided to quit and did it cold turkey and never looked back. My husband on the other hand just could not do it. One of his brothers died a couple of years before he did of Emphysyma ( prolly didn't spell that right) and it surprised me that he couldn't stop after seeing that.

I know that there is nothing anyone can do or say to make a smoker stop smoking. They have to decide on their own and do it for themselves.

but I can tell you that the hardest thing I ever did was hold my husband's hand and watch him take his last breath and there was NOTHING I could do about it! and then try to explain to my 3 year old why daddy is no longer here........

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Bunny_roses said:
TGirl,

Well I know how hard it is to quit smoking and I also know how bad that addiction is. My husband as many know died from Cancer. He smoked right up until he died! that is how bad it was for him. He tried to quit for years and was not successful. His brothers would get mad at him in the hospital and I would have to stop them. What good is it to get on someone's case about it and stress them out when they are already ill? I would push him outside in his wheelchair so that he could smoke a cigarette. I hated doing that but I would bite my tongue. my thoughts at that point were it was the the only thing that he had left that he could enjoy so let him enjoy it. He couldn't eat or drink. He basically starved to death. But to sit there and watch someone you love go through this is just horrible. So that is why I can't stand to see people smoke. It just drives me crazy how bad the addiction is and how much control it has over people's lives. I used to smoke for almost 10 years but when I decided to quit and did it cold turkey and never looked back. My husband on the other hand just could not do it. One of his brothers died a couple of years before he did of Emphysyma ( prolly didn't spell that right) and it surprised me that he couldn't stop after seeing that.

I know that there is nothing anyone can do or say to make a smoker stop smoking. They have to decide on their own and do it for themselves.

but I can tell you that the hardest thing I ever did was hold my husband's hand and watch him take his last breath and there was NOTHING I could do about it! and then try to explain to my 3 year old why daddy is no longer here........

Gosh bunny, I dont know what is worse, loosing a husband in an instant or watching one die. Neither is easier than the other, but I'm not sure if I could hold up watching James die, but then I think if I could have just spoken to him before he died..... and to be left with small children, I feel your pain girl!! (btw quickly off the subject, this weekend I am buying paxton a balloon and letting him "send" it up to daddy for fathers day, remembered you telling me how you let your little girl do that!! I hope he understands)

lostmymindwith5

Registered Member
Wow! This is some thread! I'm a non-smoker, but I smoked for about 8 years before I quit. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant with my first baby. I was very lucky because I had such horrible morning sickness, it was fairly easy for me to quit. I'd tried to quit many, many times prior to that, however, and failed. I know it's hard. I don't judge other people, in general, for their habits. No one's perfect and we all do things from time to time that we know we shouldn't. I am really mean to my dh though. It makes me insane that he smokes. He only smokes outside at least. I think the part that drives me crazy is the amount of money he spends on cigarettes! We're generally 2 months behind on our bills and he's out there burning up money like that! GRRRR!

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
Msbabedoll said:
Gosh bunny, I dont know what is worse, loosing a husband in an instant or watching one die. Neither is easier than the other, but I'm not sure if I could hold up watching James die, but then I think if I could have just spoken to him before he died..... and to be left with small children, I feel your pain girl!! (btw quickly off the subject, this weekend I am buying paxton a balloon and letting him "send" it up to daddy for fathers day, remembered you telling me how you let your little girl do that!! I hope he understands)

My daughter just did that the other day and of course we will be making a fathers day card and taking flowers and another balloon to the cemetary on sunday. I hope that it helps your son. It seems to help my daughter alot, at least it is something for her to look forward to. If you consider taking a trip to the cemetary something to look forward to. At least it is something that I dread every time and have never gotten used to going.