• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smoking on the beach?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Only yesterday, the Victorian Government has issued a notice that they are trying to pass a bill through the House of Representatives in order to ban smoking on the beach.

What do you guys think? Ban or not? Does it bother you that people smoke on the beach, that you have to walk through cigarette butts on the sand?

I am all up for the law, it's disgusting how much butts (no pun) there are on the beach.

Ziggy

Sup?
Well I agree that littering on the beach in any form is disgusting but as long as you aren't in close proximity to anyone I don't see why they can't smoke at the beach.

Perhaps set up an area for smokers and levy big fines for anyone who just throws their cigarettes on the beach.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Who doesn't clean up their garbage at the beach? That's obnoxious.

A ban on smoking outdoors? Ridiculous.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
There should be a ban on smoking altogether. I vote for hanging anyone who's caught. Or maybe... a large fine.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It seems that the issue is more beach littering than smoking per se. Fine those who litter at the beach. Let people smoke in this widely open space, like seriously.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think a ban on smoking outdoors is ridiculous. What they need to get tough on is people that litter. Whether it cigarette butts or your candy wrapper.

sandor25

Registered Member
From tobacco culture to cultural smoking. I don't know what is the case in the USA , but in Europe they are bearing a war against smoking. I think this distingvishing and against the theory live and let it live.

ATARIGUY

Beermister
It seems that the issue is more beach littering than smoking per se. Fine those who litter at the beach. Let people smoke in this widely open space, like seriously.
I agree with ysabel and IMHO smoking is disgusting and I hope smokers realize that they stink, their clothes stink, their hair stinks, their breath stinks and their teeth look awful.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't smoke and don't like smoking but I don't think you can legally outlaw smoking in an outdoor setting. And if you try too, that's kind of ridiculous.

I agree that if they are littering that's a problem but I doubt cigarette butts are the only things being left around the beaches.

Hiei

The Hierophant
As a smoker, even I think it's weird that people smoke at the beach. I've been to the beach probably hundreds of times in my life, and what has to be many dozens of times as a smoker. When I feel like I need a smoke, while I'm at the beach, I'll go find some shade away from the water and off the sandy beach to have my smoke. I'm not entirely sure what makes me feel this way, to be honest, but I think it's just not right to smoke on the actual beach itself. Outside is where I feel that you should be smoking, but for some reason I really do have a problem with people smoking on the beach.

I remember when I went to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina as a child. I started to dig a hole in the sand and it was like I was digging into an ashtray. Completely disgusting. That has always stuck with me and that's probably why I have problems with smoking on the beach. I feel that even if you did fine people heavily for littering their buts on the beach, that still wouldn't stop people. The only way that you're going to get people to stop doing that is to either have designated smoking areas, or to ban smoking altogether. You really can't give people any amount of credit. There will always be bad apples that just don't care and will trash nature wherever they go.

Also...

IMHO smoking is disgusting and I hope smokers realize that they stink, their clothes stink, their hair stinks, their breath stinks and their teeth look awful.
I'm positive that there's not a single smoker out there that thinks that smoking makes them smell nice nor does it do anything good for their health. Most smokers are smokers because they're addicted. Not because of any other reason.