• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smoking may lead to amputation

Wade8813

Registered Member
Virtually everyone diagnosed with Buerger's disease smokes cigarettes or uses other forms of tobacco, such as chewing tobacco. Quitting all forms of tobacco is the only way to stop Buerger's disease. For those who don't quit, amputation of all or part of a limb may be necessary.

Buerger's disease - MayoClinic.com

As the article says, this is pretty rare, but it's one of the effects that you don't really hear about. I tend to associate smoking with shortness of breath, and maybe cancer when someone is like 70. I don't associate it with losing a leg before they even turn 40.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Smoking screws with the blood flow in all sorts of ways. Hands get cold quicker, fall asleep quicker, etc. It's great if you hate your limbs and want to teach them a lesson.

Iris

rainbow 11!
This doesn't surprise me. smoking fucks up all sorts of functions in your body. i honestly don't understand why people continue to smoke.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I've known about this for years. They play anti-smoking ads over here which go into the detail about how smokers can lose limbs. Some packets have photos of amputated limbs on them as well to try and deter smokers.

This is what every cigarette packet looks like in Australia. No pretty colours, brand logos or anything like that.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
It's easy to say don't smoke, but once you're addicted it is difficult to quit. I've known that I've needed to quit for years, but it's difficult to do so. I smoke less, and I smoke little cigars now, but I doubt that makes it any better...except for the smoking less part. I used to do about 3/4 of a pack of cigarettes a day, now I'm down to about 6 a day. My dr. says that I have 2 years and then I MUST give it up completely, because I use birth control. A woman who smokes over the age of 35 and uses birth control has an increased risk for stroke.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Anita, I understand that once addicted to smoking, it's very difficult to quit. But the question I always ask myself is... why did they have the first one? Everyone who is addicted to smoking must have thought it was a good idea once in their life to START smoking, before they were addicted, even with all the medical information we have. That's the part I don't understand.

The only time I understand it is for really old people who got addicted before we really knew how bad they were for our health.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Crouton said:
But the question I always ask myself is... why did they have the first one?
I can't speak for everyone, but I was once young, and thought I was invincible, or at least didn't see overly far into the future (that was always way off somewhere impossibly far, then). Smoking is something I had never experienced, and I was in the mood for new things at the time, so I gave it a shot with some cloves a classmate gave me. One thing led to another, and you know how that goes.

So this isn't a justification (I'm not defending myself so much), just an explanation.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I've known about this for years. They play anti-smoking ads over here which go into the detail about how smokers can lose limbs. Some packets have photos of amputated limbs on them as well to try and deter smokers.

This is what every cigarette packet looks like in Australia. No pretty colours, brand logos or anything like that.
Yeah, we have some ads like that, but they tend to be less prominent, and they're a more recent thing.

Anita, I understand that once addicted to smoking, it's very difficult to quit. But the question I always ask myself is... why did they have the first one? Everyone who is addicted to smoking must have thought it was a good idea once in their life to START smoking, before they were addicted, even with all the medical information we have. That's the part I don't understand.

The only time I understand it is for really old people who got addicted before we really knew how bad they were for our health.
The thing is, we didn't always have this information, and even when we do, not everyone gets the info.

I think many people (at least in the US) have this vague impression of smoking that "It might give you cancer when you're like 70", plus maybe some other minor things. The information is out there, but it's not as well known.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Fair enough. I guess the medical information was enough for me to never want to try. I know when you are young you try new things, I tried smoking weed a few times, but I only tried it after googling health side effects beforehand haha. I found that it had very few negative impacts on your health, unlike smoking tobacco so I gave it a go. Never once in my life have I been tempted to smoke a cigarette though. I've already personally known two people who've died from it, and two families destroyed. Maybe that has something to do with it too.

Wade- I think anti-smoking campaigns are a lot more prominent over here. Hell i'm 22 and I dont remember a time in my entire life when they weren't a lot of graphic anti-smoking ads on TV.

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah, we have some ads like that, but they tend to be less prominent, and they're a more recent thing.

The thing is, we didn't always have this information, and even when we do, not everyone gets the info.

I think many people (at least in the US) have this vague impression of smoking that "It might give you cancer when you're like 70", plus maybe some other minor things. The information is out there, but it's not as well known.
I can't speak for everyone, but I was once young, and thought I was invincible, or at least didn't see overly far into the future (that was always way off somewhere impossibly far, then). Smoking is something I had never experienced, and I was in the mood for new things at the time, so I gave it a shot with some cloves a classmate gave me. One thing led to another, and you know how that goes.

So this isn't a justification (I'm not defending myself so much), just an explanation.
Pretty much both of these things. I'm 33 years old, so when I was your age, Crou, these ads were not prominent. I've also known several smokers who didn't have any health problems, the only ones I know of were pretty much chain smokers...and I only smoked a little bit, so that's better right? lolol

These days the reason why I haven't quit is stress. When I get upset or stressed out, a cig really helps me calm down. It's a crutch. A crutch that I must get rid of. I know this, but I'm not ready to do so yet.