Smoking, HELP!

Dali

Registered Member
I am a smoker and I hate it! I have tried to give up 7 times in the last year and a half, the longest I managed to give up for was a month, the shortest, a day. I have set a new quit date for the 1st Sept. I have my nicotine patches, gum and also this thing that you put nicotine capsules in that you can use to give you something to do with your hands. Now I have a major problem with stress, I cannot handle it whatsoever and I am fine without a cigarette until I get stressed. Because of the bpd this is why I have so much trouble with the stress, it is so bad and the littlest thing can really make me bad. It's not as simple as taking a few deep breaths, walking away, calming down, it doesn't work, I am like a bull in a China shop, its as if the stress which turns into anger just takes over me. So I need help, I want to give up smoking so badly but I am so scared at the same time that I am just going to get too stressed and reach for the fags. Please can any of you tell me what I can do to help myself more, I feel as if I am going round in circles. Have any of you ever experienced this and how did you get over it? Any advise you give me will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
Well, I've never smoked, but my advice is that whenever you feel like smoking, watch tv or distract yourself, or punch someone (the most satisfying choice :D). Always do the same thing every time you feel like smoking instead of smoking, and eventually you'll associate the need to smoke with whatever you replaced it with and you won't feel like smoking anymore.

Downside is, you might gain an addiction to whatever you've replaced it with. :\

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here is how to quit smoking:

Plan A:

Step 1: Round up £1,000 cash.
Step 2: Write up a letter to yourself that says something like this:

I, ___name___ agree to give up smoking for 100 days starting today. If I am not successful then I will donate £10 for every day that I had LEFT out of the 100 days to ___charity_name___.
Meaning if you give in on the 10th day you donate £900 to charity, 30th day you donate £700, etc.

Step 3: Get somebody to hold you to it. I know I'd really think long and hard about having that smoke if I knew so much money was on the line.

Of course you could do any amount of money you want but some larger than normal amount would probably work better for motivation.

-------------------------

Plan B:

You should do Plan B by itself or in conjunction with Plan A. First off, buy a lot of gum or whatever alternatives you need during that time. Don't keep ANY cigarettes at home.

Do you have to show your ID when purchasing cigarettes in the UK? If so tape a note to your ID that says "Do not let me buy cigarettes no matter how much I beg and cry". Then each time you are about to buy some you'll either feel embarrassed and take off the note or you'll leave it on and the employee will say something to you about it. :)

Just my ideas.

Last edited:

Tainted_Glory

Not a Scientologist
Every time you get a bad craving, hold your breath for 20 seconds. That's what I did. My parents didn't give me the gum though, so you'll probably do it easier than I did.

Dali

Registered Member
Well, I've never smoked, but my advice is that whenever you feel like smoking, watch tv or distract yourself, or punch someone (the most satisfying choice :D). Always do the same thing every time you feel like smoking instead of smoking, and eventually you'll associate the need to smoke with whatever you replaced it with and you won't feel like smoking anymore.

Downside is, you might gain an addiction to whatever you've replaced it with. :\
Well I know what works best for me so far is chewing gum every time I want a fag but then that never helps when I am stressed:sigh:

But you gave me an idea, when I am really stressed I could try punching a punch bag, maybe that would help?

And yes I will probably get addicted to the NRT, I have a addictive personality so it is bound to happen.

Tainted_Glory

Not a Scientologist
like I said..... Hold your breath for twenty seconds.. Chew regular ole gum, and don't go out for the first few days. But those last ones are better than sex, aren't they?

Dali

Registered Member
Here is how to quit smoking:

Plan A:

Step 1: Round up £1,000 cash.
Step 2: Write up a letter to yourself that says something like this:

Meaning if you give in on the 10th day you donate £900 to charity, 30th day you donate £700, etc.

Step 3: Get somebody to hold you to it. I know I'd really think long and hard about having that smoke if I knew so much money was on the line.

Of course you could do any amount of money you want but some larger than normal amount would probably work better for motivation.

-------------------------

Plan B:

You should do Plan B by itself or in conjunction with Plan A. First off, buy a lot of gum or whatever alternatives you need during that time. Don't keep ANY cigarettes at home.

Do you have to show your ID when purchasing cigarettes in the UK? If so tape a note to your ID that says "Do not let me buy cigarettes no matter how much I beg and cry". Then each time you are about to buy some you'll either feel embarrassed and take off the note or you'll leave it on and the employee will say something to you about it. :)

Just my ideas.
They are fantastic ideas. I wish I did have £1000 pounds though, unfortunately I am completely skint.

Your second idea is brilliant, I do still get asked for ID because I look so stupidly young , I'm 22 and people still think I look like a teenager, but hey when I am 50 I will look great, that is if I give up smoking, I will looke like a wrinkled prune if I don't.
------
like I said..... Hold your breath for twenty seconds.. Chew regular ole gum, and don't go out for the first few days. But those last ones are better than sex, aren't they?
You mean the last cigarettes are better than sex? I don't go out much any way so that's not a problem. The gum does work for me until I am stressed, that's what I have to deal with. I am going to try your breath holding technique. :)

Last edited:

Bananas

Endangered Species
Go cold turkey!

Get yourself a load of movies and munchies and stay in bed for 3 days(what fun!). Make sure you have all your supplies(excluding cigs.) for a few days of slobery. Leave no cash around or other tempters to stroll down the shops. Make it difficult for yourself, if you feel the urge and start to crumble give yourself plenty of opportunity to turn back. < Hence staying in bed; you have to get dressed and warmed up, put your shoes on, find your keys, grab some cash, goto shops, buy cigs and only then do you fail! After every action you have a chance to resist, make it difficult enough you can actually forget about the craving by the time you have got from the bed to the door.

First 3 days are the worst, after that its easy just requires a little will power every now and then.

I would not bother with nicotine replacement, kind of silly if you ask me, supplementing the drug you are trying to give-up.

I gave up after 10 years smoking, never looked back.

R1pperZ

Registered Member
I am a smoker and I hate it! I have tried to give up 7 times in the last year and a half, the longest I managed to give up for was a month, the shortest, a day. I have set a new quit date for the 1st Sept. I have my nicotine patches, gum and also this thing that you put nicotine capsules in that you can use to give you something to do with your hands. Now I have a major problem with stress, I cannot handle it whatsoever and I am fine without a cigarette until I get stressed. Because of the bpd this is why I have so much trouble with the stress, it is so bad and the littlest thing can really make me bad. It's not as simple as taking a few deep breaths, walking away, calming down, it doesn't work, I am like a bull in a China shop, its as if the stress which turns into anger just takes over me. So I need help, I want to give up smoking so badly but I am so scared at the same time that I am just going to get too stressed and reach for the fags. Please can any of you tell me what I can do to help myself more, I feel as if I am going round in circles. Have any of you ever experienced this and how did you get over it? Any advise you give me will be much appreciated.
Please, reach for anything but the fags.. lol sorry we Americans like to be dicks like that.

I think I'm in the same boat, I'm trying to quit my bad habits I use to relieve stress while It's hard to find alternative stress relievers. Smoking will be the hardest since it's a combination of the nicotine relief and the action of walking outside breathing fresh air and doing the hand motions.

What I've been doing is slowely getting rid of the routine of walking outside and smoking but still getting the nicotine by chewing tobacco.

I know that's probably not an option for you but it's helping me cut back the amount of cigaretts I smoke and getting rid of the routine I'm use to.

Once I get rid of the routine of smoking every 2 hours then I can address the nicotine addiction.

And do your roomies a favor and do not quit cold turkey.. I'd hate to see you suffer like that:), and you'd be on everyones ass about everything. Trust me it's not pretty. :-/

Last edited: