• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smokers not allowed to apply

Are smokers discriminated against if they can't apply for some jobs?

• Total voters

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Some job advertisements are stating that people who smoke can't apply for the job. This has caused some controversy over here as some people are claiming that this is discriminatory against smokers.

Online advertisements calling specifically for non-smokers have sparked debate about the line between personal choice, discrimination and protecting workers' health and productivity.
Article: Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Many people are saying that they understand if it's in the health industry, such as working in hospitals or as personal trainers, but now many other types of jobs are saying no smokers can apply, such as receptionist positions and graphic designers just to name a few.

What are your thoughts on this? Do employee's have the right to not hire someone if they are a smoker, or is this discrimination?

Last edited:

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
That's ridiculous. Sadly, I have observed something like this also here with us. I mean, like you said, I can understand it in healthcare or medicine (even though here the worst smokers are doctors, ironically). However, I don't get how a graphic desingners work is impacted by smoking. He doesn't really hurt anybody by smoking. It's like in Falc's recent thread, when we were discussing if it's unfair to hire or not hire somebody based on whether they have tatoos or piercings. Like then, I think that not hiring somebody just because they're smoking is very unfair and discriminating. The person could be a real talent in the job that they applied for, but they didn't get it just because they smoke.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Isn't there some sort of law saying that you have to allow a certain amount of time per hour/day for smokers to smoke? My cousin smokes and says that collectively, he gets to get paid to do nothing for a couple hours a day. I guess I could see how employers want the most work out of their employees, and not want them wasting time smoking. :dunno:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I just realised I didn't put my own opinions down on this. Like Oxy said I think there is something about smokers having to have extra breaks which reduces productivity of a company.

I personally feel that employee's have the right to refuse a job to someone if they are a smoker. I hate working with smokers, but for me it's just because I hate the smell. At my work whenever the smokers go out for their break, they all come back inside and the smell of them is almost unbearable. I struggle not to cover my nose and I try breathe through my mouth because the smell of all the smoke stuck to their skin and clothes makes me sick.

That's just my personal reason though, the smell has nothing to do with these job advertisements. I believe that's just down to work productivity.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Funny you mentioned this... I applied for a part time job last week at a local grocery store run by Mennonites and they specifically ask of you smoke. They said something about working around food and their religion. Needless to say I wasn't asked to come in for an interview...

I believe in property and buisness rights, but I also think not hiring someone because they smoke is a bit too much.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I kind of agree with the companies on not allowing smokers to apply, obviously cos I don't smoke and smoking is the worst habit one can have anyway. Due to the recession, it's quite understandable why the companies do not want smokers, have to pay them to smoke clearly but to avoid the criticism, they should have the employees have break times where they are not paid therefore allowing them to smoke.

On other hand, it also depends on what kind of a job it is, put yourself in corporate shoes during a recession and decide whether you want a smoker or a non smoker being at the front desk welcoming the customers with a cigarette odour and yellow teeth?

Falconer

Registered Member
Whoa whoa whoa, that's ridiculous. The fact that I smoke doesn't make me a worse secretary or PA or lecturer (first two being jobs I'm currently applying for and will likely wind up with for the short-to-medium term; last one's the long-term plan). Obviously, you don't smoke on the job; you go your four or five hours from start to lunch, have a couple on your break, and go on through till finish. But saying you can't have the job because you go out to the lepers' shelter at lunchtime and have a fag is ridiculous.

Mind, when I was doing my teaching practise (at a sixth form college, where a good few of my pupils were legal to smoke if they wanted), I was wary about my kids seeing me smoking. I didn't want to encourage bad habits -- the ones who did see who went all "Ee, you smoke!" got "Yeah, and I shouldn't, and neither should you be. And no you can't have a light." (I was the bitch!TA, but the cool one. ;D) I support schemes to minimise the impact on others (I did say 'lepers' shelter', I know, but I see the point of a step-away smoking area really), don't do it in the grounds of hospitals (but again, pop off-site and have one in your break if you wish), don't let schoolkids see you doing it, that kind of thing. Denying you a job because you smoke? Yeah, that's just stupid.

BigBob

Registered Member
I have no problem with it. You can smell the smoke on most smokers and if a company doesn't want their employees to have to smell it, then that's their choice.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its discrimination, in most jobs you have to clock out and in for a break and just because you smoke you don't get anymore time than anyone else. What about when they stop hiring someone because they are a little over weight, wrong sex, too old, don't look good enough. Anyone can be discriminated against if you don't fit the employer's mold.

If people stop hiring smokers, there will always be smokers, then you are going to have a lot more people on food stamps, homeless and etc.

As far as smell I've worked next to people that had BO that smelled worse than the smoker.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I think its discrimination, in most jobs you have to clock out and in for a break and just because you smoke you don't get anymore time than anyone else. What about when they stop hiring someone because they are a little over weight, wrong sex, too old, don't look good enough. Anyone can be discriminated against if you don't fit the employer's mold.

If people stop hiring smokers, there will always be smokers, then you are going to have a lot more people on food stamps, homeless and etc.

As far as smell I've worked next to people that had BO that smelled worse than the smoker.
I'm obviously biased because I don't smoke, but I do agree that it is discrimination if smokers don't get any more break time than non-smokers. And as a part of my bias, I'm less sympathetic towards the problems smokers face because I feel like it's an unnecessary problem they face. I get that quitting isn't as easy as it seems, but I've known many people who've quit for one reason or another, whether it's for family, work, health, money, etc.

I said the same thing with regard to tattoos and piercings, and I think it applies with smoking too. As an employee, you're at the mercy of the employer and you basically have to make your best presentation. It's not totally about your ability, as much as we think it should. Appearance is will always be a part of it. There are places where they don't mind smokers, but you have to look into whatever field you want to work in and gauge the culture.