• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smoke Weed

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Well, um yeah, that's the point. Obviously not everybody who gets drunk makes a horrible decision that results in them thrown in jail even though alcohol impairs judgment. Marijuana impairs judgment but that doesn't mean everyone who gets stoned commits a crime that results in them thrown in jail, thus the word might. That was my point. And I wasn't prosecuting them for being stoned, I was prosecuting them for other offenses WHILE they were stoned.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Weed makes you stupid and you end up being fascinated or entertained by the dumbest things.

You're forgetting one key thing: Marijuana makes you lazy. Like... super lazy. Like... so lazy that sometimes you won't want to get off the couch to eat snacks, even when you've got mad munchies. I've been too high to lean over and grab my bong to smoke more, even though I wanted to get more high (not that I was physically unable, but the effort makes it not feel worth it).
I agree with almost your entire post except for these two things. Weed affects everyone differently, so I think it's too broad of a statement to say weed makes you stupid or lazy. For some people that may be true. In my experience, it makes me dumber in some ways, but also smarter in others. I'm very left-brained normally, but when I smoke it makes me a lot more right-brained, and that allows me to think in ways I'm just not naturally able to.

Also, some of my best memories from smoking with my friends were the times we went out and did stuff, whether it be playing sports, hiking, biking, walking around the city, etc. It definitely CAN make you lazy, but in that case just throw on some tunes or a movie and all is good. Haha

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
And I've never said marijuana is to blame for anything. Once again I said it CAN impair judgment even to the extent one MIGHT do something they MIGHT not do otherwise.
You said:

CO said:
My conclusion is their judgment was impaired and thus did something they might not have done without the weed.
The word "thus" implies a direct causal relationship, which effectively blames marijuana. There is also a discrepancy between "it can impair judgment" and "their judgment was impaired."

Also, and this isn't necessarily directed towards CO or anybody here, but I find it kind of amusing when the words "mind-altering substance" are used to portray marijuana as being dangerous. There are so many things in our everyday lives that could be considered mind-altering. Technically, anything that sends chemical signals through your brain is mind-altering, whether it be endorphins or adrenaline, etc, and anything that alters your mind has the potential to affect your judgment. Arousal is a good example.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
If I said "their judgment was impaired thus they did something they wouldn't have done without weed" then I would be blaming marijuana, but I added the word "might" which means they might have committed the crime anyway, without the addition of marijuana. There are plenty of criminals who have never smoked marijuana.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
Please don't attack me for this.

I love weed, but my tolerance is way too high lately for me to enjoy it without spending way more money than I'm willing. I believe with the correct level of responsibility weed can be a great stress reliever. I don't do anything aside from sit on my couch, snack and talk to my fiancé. Sometimes I try to play GW2, but my ability to use technology decreases whenever I smoke. I'm not going to go out and be crazy, but its nice to sit inside sometimes and just lose myself. As cliche as it sounds, it really does open my mind and I like that.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
I agree with almost your entire post except for these two things. Weed affects everyone differently, so I think it's too broad of a statement to say weed makes you stupid or lazy. For some people that may be true. In my experience, it makes me dumber in some ways, but also smarter in others. I'm very left-brained normally, but when I smoke it makes me a lot more right-brained, and that allows me to think in ways I'm just not naturally able to.

Also, some of my best memories from smoking with my friends were the times we went out and did stuff, whether it be playing sports, hiking, biking, walking around the city, etc. It definitely CAN make you lazy, but in that case just throw on some tunes or a movie and all is good. Haha
I think you're right that it can both dumb you down but also increase your creativity. As I described earlier, whether you're smoking a sativa or indica can have a pretty big impact on whether it's a more lazy relaxed high or a more creative energetic high. I'm not trying to say it's always gonna be hard to get high and then go out and do stuff, it's definitely great fun to get stoned and then do any manner of activity... I was mostly trying to use an extreme as an example to demonstrate that as large quantities of marijuana are smoked, people generally get lazier rather than more reckless like on alcohol.

I love weed, but my tolerance is way too high lately for me to enjoy it without spending way more money than I'm willing. I believe with the correct level of responsibility weed can be a great stress reliever. I don't do anything aside from sit on my couch, snack and talk to my fiancé. Sometimes I try to play GW2, but my ability to use technology decreases whenever I smoke. I'm not going to go out and be crazy, but its nice to sit inside sometimes and just lose myself. As cliche as it sounds, it really does open my mind and I like that.
Take a week break, it'll do wonders for your tolerance (a whole month will clear you right out, but even a week really does a lot). I try to do that every couple months, just so I don't spend so much and so I don't feel like I have to smoke so frequently. Hehe, I love playing video games when I'm stoned, though depending on the type of game it doesn't always help my performance.....

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
i am really against weed and all and i just hate people who take weed
Bahahah care to explain why? Hate is like... a pretty strong emotion, y'know? You've expressed an unequivocally negative opinion, but haven't provided any justification for why you feel that way.

On a side note I'm gonna smoke a bowl now, don't you just hate me?

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
Yeah, I don't know about the specific brand that the article talks about, but I've seen several types of synthetic pot (goes by Spice or K2 usually) in head shops around here.

I've never tried it myself and I've never known anybody who's had life-threatening effects from it, but it's supposed to be pretty gross. What I've mostly heard is that it's both not as effective as pot and also can make you feel sick and barf. No thanks, not interested. Laws that make marijuana illegal aren't protecting anybody, they're what's driving people to the more dangerous alternatives.