Smith picks up Heisman on way to national championship game

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
NEW YORK (AP) -- Winning the Heisman Trophy was easy. The hard part for Troy Smith was staying composed.

To the surprise of no one, the Ohio State quarterback was the runaway winner of the award that honors college football's best player.

Seconds after his name was called Saturday night, he hugged everyone important in his life -- coaches and family -- let out a deep, deep sigh and headed for the podium.

"Normally, I'm pretty cool in pressure situations, but my heart is pounding so fast now," he said.

"I'm at a loss for words. I just can't believe this is happening. ... It means everything. Just to be here in this situation. I love everybody back home in Columbus."

Just two years after nearly derailing his career by taking money from a booster, Smith received 801 first-place votes and won the Heisman by 1,662 points -- both the second-best marks in the 71-year history of the award.

Arkansas running back Darren McFadden (878) finished second, Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn (782) was third and West Virginia running back Steve Slaton (214) was fourth.

Only O.J. Simpson's 1,750-point victory in 1968 was more lopsided than Smith's.

"I haven't spent that much time dreaming about it," Smith said of winning the Heisman. "But I'll be dreaming about it tonight. It's pretty cool."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;...5nYcB?slug=ap-heismantrophy&prov=ap&type=lgns

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
Yea he won it in a landslide second biggest margin in history, followed by McFadden and Quinn. I really thought at the beginning of the season that Brady would have won it but I guess the best man won.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
I agree that Smith deserved the award. I still believe that Quinn will go higher in the draft and have a better career in the NFL than Smith.

Hoosier.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some people say that Smith won't be a good pro because of is size, and I agree that Quinn is probably going to go higher in the draft, but I still think that Smith can have a good career, he probably won't be a starter at first, but then he'll be given a chance, and he should excel.

H

hoosierdaddy

Quinn will go higher in the draft.

Everyone will doubt Smith come draft time, especially all the "experts". But one lucky team will draft him, and will be thankful for it down the road.

TDG1987

Registered Member
It hurts to see a Buckeye win the Heisman, but Smith obviously deserved it. At first glance, I looked at him as a more polished version of Vince Young. But now, looking back, I don't think Smith will be as good. I just think Vince has more of that "it" factor than Smith. He'll be fine though.