• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smilin' bags a buck!

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
So after 9 years of deer hunting, I finally got my first buck! It was a smaller 7 point and weighed 114lbs dressed. I wanted to wait and make my first a real trophy, but after passing on a similar one a few years back I got tired of waiting. After spending hours and hours feeding spikes and does I figured it might be a long time before I got another chance. So when the opportunity presented itself I took my shot. The other guys from camp were probably more excited about it then I was, and I'm pretty happy about it!

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Thanks Tuck! It's funny, at first I thought I missed. It didn't jump or flinch, just disappeared into the woods. I waited about 5 minutes and went to look, but there was no blood or fur where it was standing when I shot. I looked around a bit and didn't find any blood, so I was pretty sure that I missed. I use my father-in-law's gun and he sighted it in over the summer, but I hadn't shot it in over a year. I take a lot of pride in my shooting skills, I shot on the rifle team in high school and in a trap league as well. So I was pretty disappointed in myself for not sighting the gun in personally. So after kicking myself I sent a text to one of the guys from camp. He wrote back asking if I was SURE I missed (because he had done that couple years back and then found the deer a couple days later after it was spoiled) and said we should go look some more. So when he and the other guys from camp showed up to look they got a little bit ahead of me. Within about 5 minutes of looking he called out "here's a spot of blood" and I went to see. It was 1 drop and a dark purple color. I said "are you sure that's blood?" and he said "yea, pretty sure it is, maybe it came from that dead deer laying right over there". It was on the other side of a log, maybe 25 yards away from where it stood when I shot. It was a good shot, just a little bit high, but took out the lungs. That is why the blood spot was so dark.
So you're right, it is a day I will always remember. Lots of high fives and hugs from the guys at camp and the beer drinking started soon after, lol!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is why I think hunting is stupid and barbaric. Guys celebrating the murder of a defenseless animal and calling it a "trophy".

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I consider it a trophy. Very nice, SS, you need to post a pic of it. Not a bad sized buck at all. It's been awhile since I've been out but I've been wanting to get back into it. I have a .308 but I need to replace my scope, it's pretty old.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Echoes: so I take it that you are a vegetarian that does not wear leather and does not use animal sourced products in any way?

@ CO: I thoroughly enjoy the time spent both in the woods observing and the time at camp in the fellowship of like minded sportsmen! I'll try and post a pic!

Dabs

Registered Member
Congrats SS!
I remember when my son shot his first deer...it was an 8 pointer...about 4 or 5 years ago.
He was about 21 years of age, he was pretty happy about it too.
He and my ex had the meat packaged and they ate it...I don't like deer meat *patooey*...but I got some good pictures of my son and the deer when he came home with it~

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
@ Echoes: so I take it that you are a vegetarian that does not wear leather and does not use animal sourced products in any way?
I don't view my food as a trophy. I don't kill just for the thrill of killing and bragging about it.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
He's not lighting cats on fire, Hoes. He just harvested one wild deer for food, like humans have always done, while taking great care not to leave it wounded and suffering. At 114 lbs. dressed it's a bounty and I'm glad for him. Myself, I don't see any moral difference between his venison and a defenseless Thanksgiving turkey being murdered in your name or mine.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't know anyone that kills just for the kill of it, everyone I know who hunts processes and eats their kill, myself included.