• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smart Cars!

Miss_Onaire0x6

I have a gorgeous lil black smart car.. but like marmite.. you either love em or hate em!...
Some people things is ace! Some people think its the ugliest thing going....
what do you reckon?!

Tainted_Glory

Not a Scientologist
Can someone explain to me what exactly makes a smart car smart?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe it has something to do with built in navigation and different things the car can "remember" or learn about each driver. Some cars have computer chips in their keys so when you turn it on the car knows what settings you like and sets everything up for you automatically.

Some expensive cars can now parallel park themselves too.

There might be other features now that make a car "smart" but I don't know what they are.

Tainted_Glory

Not a Scientologist
Ah, well, I was surprised to hear a member of the forum ot a "smart car." I thought, up until now, that smart cars could only be afforded by the rich.

FourSuits

True Blue Australian
about the smartest car i've been in had somebody with a laptop in it, even then it was at least 5 years old, i was watching TopGear on SBS and the new mercedes benz s class, it could stop it's self and not hit the car in front. it was like " the car just stoped itself!" so said the host.

Tainted_Glory

Not a Scientologist
That's not really anything new, theyv'e had that in Europe for years now. They just didn't want to take it to the US because they can sue the manufacturer if it doesn't keep them from hitting a car, since we can sue for pretty much anything.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I forgot about that feature. I think it should be introduced here in the US but with warning labels. It's a really good idea, but, the only problem is that it's only good as a backup/emergency feature. It should never by any means be an excuse to change your pants while driving. I've seen people doing that and I have to say it was more than a little disturbing to drive next to that...

Tainted_Glory

Not a Scientologist
It does have all the kinks ironed out. The reason why only one or two cars have it in the U.S. is for exactly the reason I said. It's not still in development, it's made and working. Americans just sue for anything and everything. It's like a second income to some people.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
YouTube - smart car crash

Interesting... Seems a bit small to risk taking out on the interstate but hey, motorcycles are out there. If you are lucky you might hit one of them and not a semi truck.