• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smackdown *results* Discussion 01/14/11

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
****Warning: results from this week's Smackdown are below...turn back now if you still plan on watching!****

from WWE: TV Shows > SmackDown > SmackDown Results > January 14, 2011

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – For the second week in a row, Wade Barrett invaded SmackDown … and this time he didn’t come alone. After Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel came to Barrett’s aid in a match with Big Show, Ezekiel Jackson stunned the entire WWE Universe by bodyslamming The World’s Largest Athlete. The shocking night is sure to reshape the entire SmackDown landscape for weeks to come.

Chaos erupted on "The Cutting Edge" between World Heavyweight Champion Edge, Dolph Ziggler and Vickie Guerrero (WATCH | PHOTOS)
No. 1 contender Dolph Ziggler had bold words for World Heavyweight Champion Edge, including questioning his appreciation for ex-wife Vickie Guerrero and saying he’d “pull the plug” on Edge’s career at Royal Rumble. The Rated-R Superstar pulled no punches and retaliated by hurling a slew of insults at the Official SmackDown Consultant. When tensions rose to a boil, Ziggler viciously attacked the champion. After battling back, it appeared as if The Ultimate Opportunist was going to Spear his old flame … until Ziggler came to her aid. In the end, the champion was left sprawled on the arena floor after Ziggler bashed him onto the steel ring steps.

Intercontinental Champion Kofi Kingston def. Jack Swagger (WATCH | PHOTOS)
In his first match since becoming Intercontinental Champion, Kofi Kingston tangled with Jack Swagger. Despite The All-American American’s tough talk at the start of the match, The Dreadlocked Dynamo took care of business and picked up a victory over Swagger with an SOS.

Beth Phoenix def. Michelle McCool (WATCH | PHOTOS)
Typically, when The Glamazon is poised for a Glam Slam, your fate is sealed. But on this night, Michelle McCool found a way to counter and escape Beth Phoenix’s devastating maneuver. However, Phoenix quickly countered Michelle’s move and wrapped her up for the pinfall.

Big Show def. Wade Barrett by Disqualification (WATCH | PHOTOS)
Hoping for retribution after being attacked by Wade Barrett last week (WATCH), Big Show tangled with Barrett one-on-one. Just like he did while part of The Nexus, Barrett showed that he does not operate alone. When The World’s Largest Athlete was prepared to deliver a game-over chokeslam, Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel rushed to Barrett’s aid. After punching a steel chair out of Gabriel’s hand, it looked like Show could overcome the odds. But before he could gain control, Show was overcome by his attackers. Then in a stunning move, Ezekiel Jackson stormed the ring and bodyslammed The World’s Largest Athlete. Adding insult to injury, Gabriel delivered a 450 Splash to the fallen giant. What’s next from Barrett and the Superstars he has drawn to his side?

Trent Barreta def. Drew McIntyre (WATCH | PHOTOS)
The vicious Drew McIntyre is about as dangerous as any Superstar in the entire WWE. His skills were in full effect against Trent Barreta. But just when it looked like Barreta’s fate was sealed when McIntyre hoisted him atop his shoulders, Barreta countered and got the pinfall and huge upset victory over the “Chosen One.”

Rey Mysterio & R-Truth def. Alberto Del Rio & "Dashing" Cody Rhodes (WATCH | PHOTOS)

Before they got down to business in their tag team encounter, all four Superstars looked toward the opportunity to square off in the Royal Rumble Match (WATCH). Once their match got underway, it was past Rumble winner Rey Mysterio who gained the victory for his team when he stunned “Dashing “ Cody Rhodes with a 619 followed by a splash from the top rope. The victory certainly sent a strong message that Rey is ready to rumble.
My thoughts on the show:

-The Cutting Edge was funny and entertaining...the old Edge/Vicki references and videos definitely made me laugh! It ended well, with Ziggler hitting the Zig-Zag on Edge (onto the side of the steps outside of the ring). But, with the surprise that happened after the first hour of the show, I would have put the talk show on then and Big Show vs. Barrett last.

-As with the new pattern, the WWE is good at keeping me surprised and interesting. The recent exiles of Nexus, Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel, jumped Big Show during his match with Barrett...I marked enough at that, but adding Ezekiel Jackson to the mix?! A perfect move. Not to mention he bodyslammed Show. Pretty damn cool! It worked out pretty well because before the match at some point, we had an Ezekiel Jackson promo video. B/c of that, I thought we wouldn't see him for at least one more week. Also, Barrett was talking about wanting to face Show because he attacks the most formidable opponent, as he did with Cena on raw. Once again, The Jackal proved he runs with a pack haha. Can you tell I was stoked to see another group forming? I'm hoping for a name and a solid explanation to Big Zeke's joining next week!

-Drew and Trent Barreta put on a good match, and I was happy to see Trent getting the win this time. Damn that kid is impressive. I don't think it mentioned it in the results above, but Drew assaulted him backstage and Kelly Kelly yelled at him for it. Part of his face transformation? We'll see.

-The tag match that took the first half of the show was "eh." I'm not a huge fan of people in singles' feuds getting thrown together, but at least it was awesome to see Cody Rhodes and Del Rio working so well as a team. Truth and Mysterio are an annoying combo, lol.

-Among all of the standout moments with Dolph getting a title shot and Barrett forming another group, we still get a solid IC Title scene on Smackdown. Kofi came out to thank the fans for their support last week, and Swagger came out to talk some trash. They had (as you'd expect) a pretty flawless match that was really fun to watch. Kofi makes a good IC champ, and it's cool to have Swagger in the picture hunting for a title, as he should. Instead of, y'know, running around with an Eagle mascot.

-The women's match wasn't bad, but I didn't really pay close attention. Glad to have the Glamazon back, for sure.

-As I told Millz, every time we watch WWE programming now we have to see HBK's HOF video. Until Wrestlemania. Trust me, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Wrestlemania himself, but I'm good on the videos since he retired less than a year ago. Hopefully the next inductee will take over my bathroom break spot soon.

Anyway, I'm continually impressed by Smackdown lately. This week only added to that, overall.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Once again one hell of a show from Smackdown. I skidmarked when I saw a new faction being formed and I hope that the WWE doesn't mess this one up. I hope they have a name for this group next week. Barrett, Big Zeke, and the two rejects of Nexus will be one hell of a group.

I also have to agree with you Unity that the R-Truth and Mysterio as a tag team make me sick. Cody Rhodes is such a joy to watch in the ring, he is a great seller and his facial expressions are hilarious.

I fast forward through the women's match, don't care much for that crap of a division.

The Cutting Edge was really good, Ziggler hit all his cues perfectly and I was hoping that Edge would spear Vickie.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Once again one hell of a show from Smackdown. I skidmarked when I saw a new faction being formed and I hope that the WWE doesn't mess this one up. I hope they have a name for this group next week. Barrett, Big Zeke, and the two rejects of Nexus will be one hell of a group.

I also have to agree with you Unity that the R-Truth and Mysterio as a tag team make me sick. Cody Rhodes is such a joy to watch in the ring, he is a great seller and his facial expressions are hilarious.

I fast forward through the women's match, don't care much for that crap of a division.

The Cutting Edge was really good, Ziggler hit all his cues perfectly and I was hoping that Edge would spear Vickie.
I'm hoping for a name next week as well, Millz and I were talking about them last night...since Barrett compared himself to Caesar, what about "The Empire?" lol.

Also, a random thought: Do you think that Darren Young should rejoin either Punk's Nexus (he's currently a member of the RAW roster) or join this new stable, or should he stay singles? I know most will probably say he should be fired. The reason that I ask is that he's been competing as a face on Superstars matches, and seems to be getting a decent little push on that show. My thought, however, is that he might not get a chance to do anything on raw or smackdown - unless he rejoins. I say Sheffield returns to one group and Young joins the other.

With "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, I also thought his promo on the way to the ring was pretty awesome. Finding a way to tie in looks with the Rumble? haha it works!

I'm really impressed with Dolph Ziggler. I've seen mid carders get title shots in the past where you can tell they're not ready or meant to be in that position. Dolph looked like he's been in the main event for ages. I remember when he wasn't being used that well before he got the IC Title, I was still hoping that this day would come. Here it is...even though he won't win the title most likely, it's a great time for him.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I missed the first hour but just finished watching it online so I feel like I can fully comment now...

Smackdown has had back to back awesome shows to start off the new year. My jaw hit the floor when Zeke EASILY body slammed Big Show. I mentioned to Unity that Slater and Gabriel should jump ship to SD after they shunned Punk but I wasn't serious haha...but boy am I glad it happened! I can't wait to see what happens next with that group.

Liked the Edge/Ziggler interaction as well...which is a good sign for Ziggler as a singles main eventer.

I think one of the more important things that happened was that Trent Barretta beat McIntyre. I hope his push continues.
------
As far as Darren Young, I don't see it happening. Sheffield might not be back for a couple of months either. I hope they both add members though.

Last edited:

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Trent Barretta reminds a lot like the 1-2-3 Kid, especially with his victory last night over Drew. That pin came out of no where. He has great speed and a good technical presence in the ring.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I have yet to watch it, but I feel that this was a great SD on paper. There is a lot of change going on, and I like it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I had a feeling that Slater and Gabriel would be joining Barrett on Smackdown, but I'm kind of surprised that Jackson helped Barrett out. I actually thought he was going to help the Big Show. None the less, it seems like a great faction is being built on Smackdown. I have no idea what they'll be called, but it should be interesting to see where it leads.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
PG Deathwatch: Did any of you notice that they cut to Michelle oozing blood from her nose after the Divas match? It was just a quick shot, no more than a few seconds. Smackdown's not live and there are always multiple camera feeds to choose from, so why did they leave (or maybe even edit) that shot in?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
PG Deathwatch: Did any of you notice that they cut to Michelle oozing blood from her nose after the Divas match? It was just a quick shot, no more than a few seconds. Smackdown's not live and there are always multiple camera feeds to choose from, so why did they leave (or maybe even edit) that shot in?
They didn't mean to, I think. I think they might have let that slide to the IWC to go NUTS over a possible switch. Probably just a typical reaction shot.