• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smackdown going live? Split brand back?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Variety broke that Smackdown is going live in July, and the brand separation is back.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is huge news...I am excited.

This will create so many interesting things and ideas and intrigue

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I don't think I need to elaborate on my deep disdain about the brand split but it's now inevitable so I'll have to live with it. I have zero confidence that they're gonna pull this off successfully.

But I'm happy to have Smackdown go live. It's gonna give the show a better chance to get a better perception from the fans rather than just being the "B-show".

And people are now freaking out over Triple H's tweet from earlier tonight, concerning what will become of NXT, following the brand split:

Triple H on Twitter

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lets say youre a GM.....whos your no 1 draft pick? (Including NXT, Meltzer said Nakamura or Cena).

1) Cena. Proven draw, hard worker.
2) Rollins.
3) Kevin Owens.
4) Reigns. (He's reviled, but I'd just turn him heel.)
5) Nakamura. (Other guys are more established, but he's still got a superstar peak to me, plus he's big in Japan, Spinal Tap style.)
6) Balor. (I think he's more of a high upper card guy, but he's at least got a chance of being a superstar who can carry the belt.)
7) Lesnar, even if he's only part-time, you know he can headline a PPV.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I'm gonna surprise a lot of people here but my first pick would actually be Austin Aries. He's such a versatile worker, can excel both as a babyface and as a heel and he's excellent on the mic as well. He can pretty much adapt to every style on the roster. I wouldn't hesitate to choose him first. Nakamura would be number 2, Rollins number 3, Owens number 4 et either Cena or Reigns number 5.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This is huge news...I am excited.

This will create so many interesting things and ideas and intrigue
#scoops

I'm really excited for the split again. It's an odd thing to hear myself say, because I was the happiest guy on earth when it ended. But at the time, that's because they were ignoring the separation and it had no point. I think now if they keep the brands separate most of the time (except for some matches at PPVs maybe once or twice a year), it will be a lot of fun and give us a reason to watch both shows.

I keep going back and forth on whether I would want two titles, but the good thing about it would be keeping things separate and also giving some guys that aren't Roman Reigns a chance to be a top guy. I also can't say that I really want a champion floating between shows, I'm going to have to disagree with Stone Cold's podcast opinion on that one.

As far as my first draft pick, I would think pure storyline-wise Cena or Reigns would make the most sense. Personally, I'd pick Seth Rollins. A long-time champ and someone that just made a big impact in his return.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
My gut tells me that it's more than likely that WWE decides to put some of the guys & girls possibly linked to outside projects on Smackdown. Simply for scheduling issues. I'm assuming that Smackdown's touring schedule will be slightly different from RAW's so people shooting movies for instance would probably be more easily accomodated by working the Smackdown brand. That's why I wouldn't be surprised to see John Cena work the Smackdown brand and Roman Reigns working the RAW brand.

I understand you disagreeing with Stone Cold about the one champion thing but I'm feeling like a 2nd title would devalue the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. At least, if they do bring the World Heavyweight Championship back again, I'm hoping they won't hand it to someone like they did with Triple H in his horrific 2002 to 2004 reigns.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I understand you disagreeing with Stone Cold about the one champion thing but I'm feeling like a 2nd title would devalue the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. At least, if they do bring the World Heavyweight Championship back again, I'm hoping they won't hand it to someone like they did with Triple H in his horrific 2002 to 2004 reigns.
I definitely get what you're saying. I do think a big part of what diluted the WWE Title was the WHC being just as important on paper but, in later years, given away to lesser talents and booked weakly. IF you do separate titles and IF you want to do it right, just keep the rosters from mixing too much. If they don't do two titles I'll be fine with it too. In that scenario I'd really really like it if they treat the IC Title better than ever.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Now, this is a rumor but there's been a possible leaked list of what the rosters would look like for the brand extension. Of course, nothing's important but there are some interesting names in both brands:

SmackDown:

Announcers: Jerry Lawler, Corey Graves, Mauro Ranallo

Other Announcers: Funaki, JoJo

Wrestlers: Rusev and Lana, The New Day, Apollo Crews, Becky Lynch, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, The Vaudevillains, The Wyatt Family, Baron Corbin, Emma, Tyler Breeze and Fandango, Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson, Randy Orton, Dana Brooke, Big Show, Titus O'Neil, Tyson Kidd, Alicia Fox, Natalya, Darren Young and Bob Backlund, Goldust and R-Truth, Kane, Mark Henry, Jack Swagger, Tamina Snuka, Eva Marie, Finn Balor, Peyton Royce, Tye Dillinger, Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa, Austin Aries, Mojo Rawley, Billie Kay, Nia Jax, No Way Jose

RAW:

Announcers: JBL, Michael Cole and Byron Saxton

Other Announcers: Lilian Garcia, Renee Young

Wrestlers: The Miz and Maryse, Seth Rollins, Sasha Banks, Sami Zayn, Cesaro, Enzo Amore and Big Cass, Dean Ambrose, John Cena. Paige, Alberto Del Rio, Neville, Chris Jericho, The Dudley Boyz, Summer Rae, Kalisto, The Shining Stars, Zack Ryder, Naomi, Sin Cara, Sheamus, The Usos, Dolph Ziggler, The Ascension, Nikki Bella, The Social Outcasts, Bayley, Shinsuke Nakamura, The Revival, Carmella, Alexa Bliss, Bobby Roode, Hideo Itami, Liv Morgan, Blake and Murphy, Elias Samson

Roman Reigns & Charlotte would be working both brands, unless they create new championships. I'm also assuming that the WWE Tag Team Champs would be working both brands as well. Obviously, lots of NXT names in there but it most definitely look that based on that preliminary list (which will more than likely change), they're not splitting any tag team, compared to the first brand split.