• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Smackdown Discussion: 03/04/11

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Discuss tonight's Smackdown and results here!

Tonight The Undertaker will make his return to Friday Night.

Also, Edge and Alberto Del Rio will have a contract signing for their Title match at WM.

I'm really hoping for Christian to make his return tonight.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hoping for a solid show and an improvement from last week...

Always like hearing when Undertaker speaks since he doesn't too often.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm able to watch tonight since I'm staying. So far the first match was alright, nothing to spectacular. It's a great sign that Edge and Drew are kind of feuding at the moment. It means that Drew isn't in the dog house anymore. He had a few good shots on Edge during the match itself.

I can't stand Teddy Long, he's so annoying. Till this day, I'm still surprised that he's employed by the WWE.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Teddy Long is hilarious! Playa.

I am enjoying Cody Rhodes more and more every week. That was a nice promo, very serious and well delivered. I like how the lights were darkened.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree, I was a huge hater of Cody Rhodes when he was with Legacy, but when he became Dashing Cody Rhodes I really started to like him. The promo he just cut right now was pretty good, and I love how he kept hiding his face.

Now I think the potential is there for a good match between Rey and Cody, but the thing is that we know what's going to happen, especially if Rey loses his face is revealed.

Hopefully this tag team match is a good one.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah man I think we all know what is going to happen at Wrestlemania. That little punk Rey Mysterio will overcome the damn odds and beat Rhodes. It's just stupid; I hope it doesn't happen.

A tag title rematch makes sense here. Hopefully it gets more then 7 minutes haha

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Typical tag team match between these two teams. I wonder how long we'll see Kozlov and Santino together. It seems like this team is running out of gas.

Well, you won't get your wish tonight Unity. But Christian will be back on Smackdown next week. I wonder what plans the WWE have for him in his return. There's many possibilities for him.

Undertaker will be coming up after the commercial break. I imagine he'll respond to HHH promo on Monday Night Raw. I do wonder if he's going to talk about Kane, or Wade Barrett.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
My thoughts on the show are posted below, turn back now if you still plan on watching Smackdown:

---------------------------

Awesome to see Drew getting a shot at the World Heavyweight Champ. Having a match with Edge like that can hopefully give Drew that chance to climb WWE's ranks once again. I love that Edge has been bringing back the Edgecator (inverted sharpshooter); on the show last night Cole said that Edge was bringing in a new move so that he can try to match Del Rio's armbar at Wrestlemania...I don't get why it would be a problem to say that it's a move that Edge hadn't used in years and he's bringing it back just for Alberto...I know that pro wrestling has a short memory, but that just doesn't make sense.

Loved that Cody came out in Rey's mask...reminded me of CM Punk dressing as Jeff hardy, such a great way to piss off a lot of fans quickly. Great promo by the kid, and I really hope that he gets the win at WM. Either way, can't wait to see him have that match. It's a really entertaining angle.

Biz: I agree with you about Santino and Kozlov, and I think it makes sense with a team like that...we'll probably be seeing them part ways soon, unless the WWE really cares about longevity in their tag division for a change (which they won't). I really like that Slater is using the Scorpion Death Drop as a finisher, one of my favorite moves of all time.

Great promo by Undertaker, as we usually get. Not his best, though. And that music...while it was cool for return teasers, it absolutely sucks for Undertaker's character. Watching his long and cryptic (as it's supposed to be) entrance to that theme really takes away some mystique. At least add some gongs to the Johnny Cash song if it's entrance music material. I guess Undertaker is "The Last Outlaw" now, add that to his many monikers. I'm ok with it as long as he doesn't start riding a horse to the ring haha.

The divas match was ehh...glad to see my girl Rosa Mendes getting a shot, though.

Seeing Kane vs. Big Show on the marquee for a show still is exciting to me; it started off alright, and I liked that Kane couldn't resist using a chair when The Corre slid it his way. It was also cool for Kane's character that someone accidentally bumping into him would just set him off as well. I guess part of me had wished that he'd form an alliance or even joined up with The Corre in their feud with The Big Show.

I saw Cole's hilarious promo with Swagger, but I guess I missed the fact that he faced JTG? It says he did in the results, anyway. Oh well.

Del Rio and Edge was an entertaining segment, for sure. I still am a huge Del Rio fan, but his mic skills still don't totally rope me in with authenticity. He ended up owning Edge, what a cool assault and it will definitely make perfect pre-WM-match video package material. I was sold on the whole "Christian returning next week" thing, as Biz had mentioned above. I was bummed about it but settled with the news...WWE is getting better at writing in surprises, it was so epic to see Christian making the save (again) for Edge! I was waiting for it as soon as I saw Del Rio lining up the chair around Edge's arm and looking towards the ring-post. Such a cool site to see Christian propping up a battered and bleeding Edge...great for him. Millz and I were both saying that these repeated saves are somehow making us think more about a heel turn being possible. I think that 2011 is going to be a big year for us Peeps.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
A [strike]few[/strike] bunch of quick notes:

Cody's masked promo on Rey was the best mic work I've ever seen him do. It may even be better than any his brother's done.

Was it a botch? Either way, Santino's kickout after the three and the bell marks the first time I've ever seen a pro do that.

Taker is not tired of being Taker. His segment-long spot was intense. He is lit up for the Grandest Stage. Is the Cash thing his new theme, or just until WM? I'm not clear on that.

They let Booker do a teaser voiceover for an upcoming match, leading into commercial. He played it dead straight, but my sister and I both laughed at how much character there was in his voice for a spot like that. "Dat's tonight... own Smackdown!" We want to hear more.

How often does an opponent make Kane look small and toss him around in the ring? I wonder if Jacobs feels weird when he works a match with Show.

I also wonder if Swagger is really the one training Michael "I Love Heels" Cole, outside of the storyline. Swagger's not in a program, am I correct? It seems entirely possible, but i don't think I've read anything.

Am I the only one who sees Teddy Long turning more and more into Gary Coleman? Talk about distractions, jeez. I'm not sure if he gained weight or shaved his lip or what, but this week the resemblance was damn near shocking.

Del Rio called Edge "gringo asqueroso," meaning 'cowardly fair-haired one' or 'filthy whitey.' He also called him a "perro," or dog, and not in the homie-to-homie way. Mexican fans had to be eating it up, with Ricarrrdo Rodrrriguez singing the National Anthem and the whole enchilada. Nice fricking Mercedes, too. Very nice. Not sure why I would bother, but I filed away the model number SL550 for future reference.

They didn't try to edit out Edge's nosebleed, from what I could tell. They even left in a closeup shot or two. It's a far cry from when Linda was running and they stopped an "I Quit" match to blot Cena's face with a towel!

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
There were only two highlights from Friday's show for me...

Taker's promo. I loved it. The HHH/Taker match at WM will be worth it. I love the "last outlaw" title that WWE has given Taker.

Del Rio. I can't understand why people can't like him. I have heard the "Mexican JBL" and "Gimmick-heavy" comparisons over and over again, and I am frankly sick of it. He is one of the best things going on Smackdown right now and NEED TO UNDERSTAND that he is part of the future of the WWE. He has a heavy gimmick being a Mexican aristocrat, but he is just great! He improves every week and he was at his best last Friday.

Great job, ADR.