Slow work days

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
When you’re stuck at work and there’s nothing going on, how do you keep yourself occupied?

It’s a very rare occurrence for me but we do sometimes have completely dead days.

I work in a Christian ministry so I’ll put on Chiristian podcasts and listen to them. Many times I’ll have some small remedial tasks to work on as well. It can also be a good time to look at the calendar and plan for the future months. Working in Events (as an AV Engineer) the job has to be really flexible.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I have never had a slow work day in the 3 years i've been at my current job or ever at my previous one before that. At my very first job, about half my day was down time. I was a office admin at a small firm (first job out of school) so once my work for the day was done, I was free to do whatever as long as I answered the phone and greeted anyone who wandered in. I spent my time trawling GF (popmalt) - in chat, playing poker. That was probably 10 years ago now though.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I have never had a slow work day in the 3 years i've been at my current job or ever at my previous one before that. At my very first job, about half my day was down time. I was a office admin at a small firm (first job out of school) so once my work for the day was done, I was free to do whatever as long as I answered the phone and greeted anyone who wandered in. I spent my time trawling GF (popmalt) - in chat, playing poker. That was probably 10 years ago now though.
I remember those days! I was always confused about that contingency of members we had on here during regular work hours. There were quite a few people on back then.

I work in Events so if there aren’t events to run then projects kick in. If there are no projects then we really have to look for things to do.

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
First off...hey Dave, hows it going?

I don't have too many slow days either. I listen to music and podcasts all day to help me get through the day but back in the day I'd usually browse the internet to pass the time. These days facebook and twitter and email are blocked so I'm happy I am always so busy.

Impaired

Registered Member
When you’re stuck at work and there’s nothing going on, how do you keep yourself occupied?

It’s a very rare occurrence for me but we do sometimes have completely dead days.

I work in a Christian ministry so I’ll put on Chiristian podcasts and listen to them. Many times I’ll have some small remedial tasks to work on as well. It can also be a good time to look at the calendar and plan for the future months. Working in Events (as an AV Engineer) the job has to be really flexible.
In a thousand ways; I read books (or listen to audiobooks), I read news, I watch Netflix, I listen to music and occasionally play web games, like Little Big Snake or agar.io

It is rare for me to have the luxury. Mostly I am too busy. I am salaried and don't get paid overtime. The company always more or less owes me hours because in the IT business, there is so much after hours work it can drive you crazy.

As a result, if I have 20 minutes while software is installing or configurations are importing, backing up, etc, I feel free to amuse myself.