• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sleeping Pills

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am not taking sleeping pills technically at the moment but I am taking Diazepam which has recently been given to me as a boost for my current anti-depressants but I have been told to only take it as and when I need it, I have taken one just now in order to help me sleep as on a sunday I find it very difficult to sleep, my head just gets full of things I cannot get rid of and it seems to help.

I have been told by multiple sources however that is is very hard to get off and that it can become addictive and can be very hard to stop taking. I have not experienced this yet, I don't believe I am addicted as such but it does help me sleep and at this point anything that can help me to relax, calm down and basically not want to throw up from nerves I feel is a good thing.

What I want to ask is has anyone here had any experience of sleeping pills, Diazepam or drugs of this nature in general? Did you find them to be helpful or am I better off not using them altogether? Am I putting myself down a slippery slope I may not be able to come back from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I used to take sleeping pills, but I stopped because the effect they had wore off. I don't know if it was ever just a psychological thing for me and the novelty of taking something to help me sleep passed or whatever, or my body just became 'immune'.

So I didn't have to wean myself off them because, well, they stopped working. So I don't have any advice to offer you, sorry.

If I were you, I'd try to rely on them a little less. I think it's best to ask your doctor about it though to be honest.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
The only sleeping pill I have experience with is the occasional half-dose of Benadryl if I'm really having trouble sleeping.

My advice would just be to speak to a doctor in-depth about these questions. They're the best ones to answer your questions instead of going off of friends' or family's opinions.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only sleeping pills I have ever taken were the over the counter type. After about 3 nights they did not work so I didn't have a problem giving them up. I think the best thing you could do is talk to your doctor about your concerns.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I haven't taken sleeping pills before. I try to avoid most pharmaceutical drugs unless my dr forces me to get a prescription. When I recently had a procedure done he prescribed me pain pills. I asked him did I really need that? He laughed because he says no one ever questions the need for pain pills, most people want them. I was glad to have them though, because I really did need them, but I digress.

When I was having trouble sleeping, I took a natural supplement called Melatonin. It's supposed to help you turn off all the conversation in your head to help you sleep. I also have some herbal sleepy time tea that I sometimes drink, but I'm not sure if it's really making me sleepy or not. I don't drink it on a regular basis. I just like the slight mint taste it has, which is weird because I hate mint.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I've never taken sleeping pills. As irritating as it can be to not fall asleep (like I'm experiencing right now at almost 5 in the morning), I've almost always been able to function on very little sleep except a couple times, but that's a story for another thread.

My general policy towards all medicine is to generally avoid it. It's cheaper, I avoid any risk, and maybe it will boost my immune system to fight it off itself. I'll take an Ibuprofen or something if I have a really bad headache, or if I have something going on that I want to feel 100% for. When I had my appendix removed, I ended up taking only half the pills prescribed because the pain was pretty tolerable eventually.

I did once get out of school early because I had allergies, and took a Benedryl, and it knocked me out for several hours. It was pretty surprising, because I'd taken Benedryl before and I don't think I'd even had any drowsiness from it.

Last edited:

iStar

I never trust those synthetic man made chemicals things. Sleep is associated with the hormone called melatonin and drinking milk and eating bananas is know to help boost melatonin naturally. Eat them before going to bed.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've taken Valium (Diazepam) a few times for anxiety but never on a regular basis.

I think you have to weigh the risk of addiction against any distress you're feeling now and the consequences of lack of sleep on your depression and anxiety. It's not black and white, as life usually isn't.

If you're concerned about the possibility of addiction, you may want to try something natural like melatonin, or a blend from your local health food/supplement store.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've never taken sleeping pills but I've heard a lot about them.

Here's something to keep in mind. You don't get addicted to the pill itself, you can get addicted to the feeling that taking the pill produces (in this case we can assume that it's drowsiness and relaxation right?). Maybe this feeling has to do with the way you feel when you wake up, or maybe it's the relaxation and the feeling that you get when you're falling asleep.

Another thing to look out for is that a lot of drugs have a tendency to dehydrate the body (especially over extended periods of time), make sure to be taking in plenty of water.

I'm sure that others that you've spoken to have told you this, but be careful. Wouldn't want for anything to happen to you. :)