• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multi-Console Sleeping Dogs

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I had not heard of this game until I downloaded a demo from Xbox Live and instantly loved it. It is from the same people who brought the Just Cause and Final Fantasy series Square Enix and is a grimy story about a man who has just returned to Hong Kong from America.

I won't say a lot about the story because whilst it is obvious from the start the basic story I do at least want to keep that a secret. For anyone who has played the Just Cause series I will say it is similar to that. For those who haven't it is similar in its roots and how it plays to the Grand Theft Auto style of play where you have free roam of the city you are in, you can pretty much do what you want, you can steal cars, get weapons, buy clothes but what makes this game different to GTA is the combat. For the most part of what I have played so far it is all hand to hand combat, this may sound boring but trust me, it is good. You can do many things but by far one of the most satisfying things to do is to grapple someone and use your surroundings such as throwing people through windows, banging their heads against walls and oh my it just gets better and better.

This is a game that is not meant to for everyone but for those who enjoy the GTA series I would recommend it. Another thing I love is the setting. As many on here know I was originally born in Hong Kong, specifically in an area of HK called North Point. I have never been back but I have done a virtual walk on Google Street View and North Point is where I was born and spent the first year and a half of my life so to come onto a game and find that that is where the game is I was very pleased, it was almost like a home coming for me. The environments are gorgeous and well detailed, everything seems to be thought of to the last detail and honestly so far I am preferring this to GTA4.

I won't say any more except to say that there is a demon on XBL and I imagine there will be one on the PSN and if there is I would recommend downloading it if this sounds like your sort of game.

Alta

Registered Member
I'm thinking about getting it and your positive review has me longing for it even more.

Jeru

Registered Member
I bought this game the day it came out and just finished it 2 days ago. i do not play a lot of video games but i could not put this one down. i got so caught up in it that i was a little depressed when it was over. the only negative thing i can think of when it comes to sleeping dogs is the way it ended. i had no idea i was so close to beating it and then it was over. if i were to compare it to another game i would say its a lot like mafia II, or GTA on steroids. by far one of the best games i have ever played.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
#EmmaStoneVoicesACharacterInTheGame

What?

Not gonna lie, it's a pretty amazing game. Totally surprised me. After all, it was cancelled by Activision under the "True Crime: Hong Kong" name. Square Enix made the right choice to pick it up. Easily a GOTY contender for me.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I've just completed it on the PC. It's a good game, but I don't 100% recommend a PC purchase. I don't know if this is a port specific issue, or if it's in all the versions, but several times, the game has failed to load in a section of road ahead of me, resulting in my vehicle falling into the void outside the game world and skybox. I've had to restart a couple of races due to this.

Another issue is the camera control; it is really awkward to move the camera around with the mouse. For wide open areas on foot, you can mostly ignore it as you can pretty much see all you need when in a fight. In tight quarters and moving fast, it's probably going to end up slowing you down. And as far as using it when driving, you may as well not bother. This is one of the few games where I actually recommend a control pad over a keyboard & mouse setup.

I also don't recommend anything other than a rental, unless you know for a fact that you're going to replay it in the future. The game suffers from the same end-game issue the GTA series and other open-world sandbox games do, in that once you've done all there is to do (which, admittedly, is quite a lot), then all that's left is to drive around causing havoc. Nevertheless, it is a fantastic game, I highly recommend a console playthrough, and goddammit, Activision, you should have held on to True Crime: Hong Kong.

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
I am a couple mission away from completing this game. It was a lot better than I expected. It looks decent, has a good story and some memorable characters. I don't think it's better than GTA IV & it definitely wasn't a GOTY contender. But it's at least worth a used purchase.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thealigator Dating & Relationships 7
Babe_Ruth General Discussion 6
sunrise Health & Fitness 8
sunrise General Discussion 5
sunrise General Discussion 11