Slavery Joke. Racist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by breathilizer, Sep 21, 2006.

1. breathilizer

breathilizer Resident Ass-Kisser

So I'm in the shitter doing my business and my battle buddy (Hirt) is a couple stalls down from me. We're both sitting there for a while and our mutual friend Smith walks in.

Smith: Hirt, are you in here?
    Hirt: Yeah.
    Smith: Hey, we gotta go fill radios. Hurry up.
    Hirt: It's gonna be a while. I've been holding this shit in for two days and it doesn't want to come out.
    Smith: Well come down when you're done.
    Me: I'm gonna be in here for a while too.
    Hirt: Oh yeah?
    Me: Yeah. It's as if I owned a bunch of slaves and tried to let them go and they were like, "No."
    Unknown voice: Slaves?
    Me: Hello?
    Unknown voice: What did you say?
    Me: Imagine you're this guy...
    Unknown voice: No, you said slaves.
    Me: Yeah, I'm getting to that part. Imagine you're this guy who owns a bunch of slaves, and when you tried to let them go, they were like, "No." Because that's how I feel right now.
    Unknown voice: I don't find that very funny, and I'm black.
    Me: Well, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut. I think that's my best course of action right now.

Hirt leaves...
    Unknown voice leaves...

Door opens...

(Background noise): Slaves?... Is he still in there?... Yeah...

Door closes.

I finish my business and head out of the shitter.

Black Lieutenant [Unknown voice] (LT): There he is.
    Me: Okay, i seem to have stirred up some controversy...
    White Staff Sergeant (SSG): Yeah, you did! What the hell did you say about black people?
    Me: (At Parade Rest) Sergeant, I didn't say anything about black people.
    White SSG: You said something about slaves. What did you say?
    Black LT: If you lie, I'm gonna hit you.
    Me: I'm not going to lie. I said... (insert first half of the story here)
    White SSG: So you think that your shit is the same thing as black people?
    Me: No, sergeant.
    White SSG: But that's what you said!
    Me: Negative, sergeant. I did not say that.

White SSG proceded to say something about dropping Mexicans out of his ass and how he wouldn't stop any of the black guys standing around if they tried to hit me. I just played the "Roger sergeant" role and moved out when he ordered me to do so.

So what's your take on my little situation here? Was my comment racist? Did I deserve an ass-chewing? Do I deserve worse? What's the deal?

2. Izzibeth

Izzibeth Guest

^_^ perhaps you didn't mean it that way...

but the first thing that popped into my head when i read that line about the slaves not wanting to leave was that you were comparing black people to your poopies (*^_^*). what you said, unfortunately, was pretty racist. like... here is the link....

black people = brown
    poop = brown

black people = poop

that's not good. hehehe add the military factor to the whole thing and.. yeah.. you made a booboo. in an everyday situation you would have gotten away with it because no one would have told on you. but.. to answer your question.. yes. it was racist. perhaps not maliciously so on your part but.... that doesn't matter. : )

3. breathilizer

But was my joke centered around the color of the poop?

4. merob

merob Boom!

I think it's a bit offensive myself, but I wouldn't have flipped. Besides, African Americans aren't the race to have gone through slavery. A lot of people are just too sensitive, still. The fact you tried to clear things up suggest your not racist.

For the record dont make racially suggestive remarks in general. ><

I doubt all that; poop = black people isn't a popular comparison

5. breathilizer

I hope I don't have to go explain myself to someone again. How embarassing.

"Yeah so I was taking a shit..." is NOT a good way to begin defending yourself.

Anyway, it was a slavery joke, not a black joke.

6. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

You could have used a better analogy, but it is what it is. As has already been said, the black race isn't the only race to endure slavery. It sounds like these guys were just over sensitive and looking for something to bitch about.

Hoosier.

7. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Right. A slave doesn't have to be black. Even in the US there were white slaves. Slaves can be any color.

8. Hoosier_Daddy

I have an idea. Next time you're having a hard time taking a dump just referr to your feces as indentured servants. That ought to shut them up.

Hoosier.

9. breathilizer

I honestly can't believe how utterly ignorant people are. And the fact that I might get in trouble for it? Yeah... Great.

10. Hoosier_Daddy

Why does this surprise you? I know of more than a few African Americans who still blame their social/economic circumstances on slavery and past oppression of the black man. In my opinion it's an ignorant cop-out to shift the blame for their actions to someone else.

Hoosier.