• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multi-Console Skyrim v. Oblivion

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Everyone always talks about how Skyrim is one of the best games ever made but I don't even think it's the best game in the series. Oblivion was larger, had better class choices, and had a better leveling system. The story was better, the quests were significantly better, and I didn't have to force myself to beat some parts. Skyrim does get the edge in graphics and number of dragons but it just isn't enough for me to consider it a better game.

In fact, I think I'm going to go create a mage now!

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Definitely NOT a better leveling system. A lot of people have argued for years that it was one of the worst parts of the game. It was a huge freaking drag to level up and it never felt rewarding. It was one of the reasons I quit the game several times. I never felt like I was ever getting anywhere. I'll more than likely end up in Oblivion again soon but Skyrim felt so much more accessible and it felt like it actually gave you some reward for your efforts.

I also don't really know about size, they've often been compared and the results seem to be very, very close to the same size.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm confused, I thought Oblivion made Skyrim, or that it was some sort of sequel to Oblivion?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Oblivion and Skyrim are made by Bethesda. Skyrim is technically the sequel since it is Elder Scrolls 5 and Oblivion was Elder Scrolls 4.

Zenheizer

needs practice
Definitely NOT a better leveling system. A lot of people have argued for years that it was one of the worst parts of the game. It was a huge freaking drag to level up and it never felt rewarding. It was one of the reasons I quit the game several times. I never felt like I was ever getting anywhere. I'll more than likely end up in Oblivion again soon but Skyrim felt so much more accessible and it felt like it actually gave you some reward for your efforts.

I also don't really know about size, they've often been compared and the results seem to be very, very close to the same size.
AGREED.

The best part about RPGs is going to low level areas and stomping the crap out of mud crabs, sewer rats and boneyard skeles!!! In Oblivion everything leveled up with you even when you went back to early game places...it was consistently challenging and you couldn't just own monsters.

And the skill system was WAY better in Skyrim - freedom of choice to make your own class.

And when you have dialogue with people, the whole world didn't freeze for your conversation like in Oblivion lol.
------
Also, the level design for the plains of Oblivion were a complete joke. Fire, sand, tower, goblin? Some of the worst repetitive level designs in modern gaming.

Last edited: