• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Skunks

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Anyone have skunks in their area or ever have any encounters with them?

They seem to be more common in my area in recent years than they used to be. I do a lot of walking around the neighborhood at night, so I have to always be on alert for them. I smell them frequently and I've seen maybe a dozen of them already this year.

The closest encounter I've had with one was just a couple weeks ago. I was walking down the sidewalk when suddenly I saw a skunk about 10-12 feet from me. It saw me and turned around with its tail up in the air and I thought for sure it was going to spray. I literally jumped and started running the other direction. Luckily it didn't spray and ended up walking off into the bushes. They're just so hard to see in the dark until you're already too close to them. It's scary. It would suck so hard to get sprayed.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We have skunks, with the forest at my back door it doesn't surprise me. If you go outside at night you stand a good chance in seeing one. My dog was sprayed by one a few times. You would think she would have learned the first time. Then afterwards I spend $10 on something to get the smell out. In the meantime I would make her sleep outside until I could deodorize her. Which she didn't like but no one could stand to be around her.

Fortunately I've never been sprayed by one. Unlike my dog I had enough sense to go the other way.

My son saw a skunk and a possum about to go at it out one night.lol

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Be very quiet and dont move. Wait for the skunks to leave. Thats what I learned when I got surrounded by them. They were so close that I coulda petted them and there was 5 or 6 skunks. Btw, I didnt get sprayed.

Never make a clicking noise or they think you wanna attack them. And never make a whistling noise or they think you like them so they wont leave. And dont forget skunks dont have any claws so they cant climb. If I had been near a tree I woulda clumbed it to get away from them. Also, skunks carry rabies so thats even more important than getting sprayed cause if one bites you then you have to get all those shots.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think I could just stand there quietly while there's a skunk at my feet. I don't doubt that's the best thing to do, but my first instinct is to bolt.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You are better off if you don't threaten them in any way, that is when they will spray. I still would have a hard time just standing there. My instinct would be to run.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
LOL! You dont know till it happens. I wanted to run and I wanted to scream but I couldnt. I was too scared to do anything but stand there. I learned all about what people mean when they say "scared stiff".

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
One time, I was biking home in the country from a friends place. It was after midnight, and pitch black. There was no moon because of cloud cover. The sides of the road have gravel shoulders though, so all I do is just keep them on either side of me as I bike down the highway. At some point in the ride, I could hear something scurrying along in front of me. I pulled out my phone and used it for a bit of light, and this skunk was running away from me, thinking I was chasing it haha. I freaking booked it, passing the skunk and getting far away. I guess I was pretty close to getting sprayed haha

We always had skunks in our yard growing up, because we had chickens, and skunks like chickens. We always got rid of them because often times they're carriers of rabies even if they don't have it themselves, and so we didn't want them attacking the chickens otherwise we'd lose the whole coop to rabies.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
LOL! You dont know till it happens. I wanted to run and I wanted to scream but I couldnt. I was too scared to do anything but stand there. I learned all about what people mean when they say "scared stiff".
I've never been so scared of a skunk that I just stood there. I don't like them but they don't scare me that bad. I guess they aren't big enough to get that kind of reaction out of me.lol

dDave

V.I.P.
I have a slight problem. Marijuana and skunks smell exactly the same to me so it's hard to be sure.

Yeah, I've seen skunks around (pretty rarely) but when I think I smell a skunk I always have to remember it could be someone lighting up a joint.

Either way, I hate the smell.

My dog came inside smelling like skunk one day, I'm pretty sure she got sprayed.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've definitely smelled marijuana (the plant itself, not the smoke) that smells almost exactly like skunk, but for the most part it doesn't. Skunk is like a pungent rancid odor. Marijuana is hard to describe, especially since there are so many different strains, but it's generally more of an earthy, herb-like odor. I love the smell, to be honest. Skunk, not so much.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Pets 7