Skill or confidence?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Which one is more important when it comes to sports in your opinion.

Skills or confidence.

Discuss

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
You can't have one without the other in my opinion. You may have all the confidence in the world, but that won't help when you can't actually kick a ball very far. And vice versa, if you have lots of skill but no confidence, you're not going to be able to use your skills well.

There needs to be a rough balance. If you have the skill to make that penalty, and you are confident in your skills, then you're more likely to succeed.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Yeah I agree with storm, I don't think you can have one without the other.
All the skill in the world would not have helped me in the ring if I had no confidence in what I could do, but being full of confidence win no skill would have seen me getting a pasting everytime I put on gloves.

There is a certain balance that you need in my opionon, as your skills develop in your choosen sport so will your confidence in yourself.

Both of them are right, to be a complete athlete you need both. However, if I had to pick one of them:

Confidence. With enough confidence an althlete will be more open to suggestions, he will work on what is suggested instead of taking it personally. With the right mind set some amount of skill can be taught. They may max out their talent, but they will play and maintain that level a lot more consistantly than a talented athlete who constantly doubts themself.

BigBob

Registered Member
Since everyone has already stated what I think, I'll throw in some examples to back it up.

Brett Favre: He is arguably one of the most skilled quarterbacks in the history of the NFL. How did he become so good? Confidence. He can throw an interception and he can be like most quarterbacks and go to the bench, pout a little bit and then go out and just have a suck ass game.. but he doesn't. He has the confidence that he's going to throw a touchdown every single time he has the ball.

David Ortiz: A huge power hitter who has the skill to hit the ball out of the park at every at bat.. recently he went 140+ games or at bats I believe (someone correct me) without a home run. Why? Did anyone see how he walked away from the plate after he'd strike out or get thrown out? He'd walk away with his head down like whatever, I can't do it. He lost confidence after a while.

SubZero

Registered Member
Both i guess, without confidence a skilled player will not perform but if you lack skills even though you are confident you will still not be that good.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Both of them are right, to be a complete athlete you need both. However, if I had to pick one of them:

Confidence. With enough confidence an althlete will be more open to suggestions, he will work on what is suggested instead of taking it personally. With the right mind set some amount of skill can be taught. They may max out their talent, but they will play and maintain that level a lot more consistantly than a talented athlete who constantly doubts themself.
I agree with Sui. Both are important but if I have to choose just one, I'd pick confidence. In addition, I think a lot of skills are wasted anyway when you don't have the confidence to back it up.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I agree that both are necessary, but I think skill is more important. Confidence comes and goes; it fluctuates with your mood, what's going on around you, etc. Someone can give you a good talking to, and your confidence can go back up.

But skill? It's possible that literally less than 1 in a million people have the skill required to play at the top levels in any given sport. Anybody can be confident, but not everyone has the skill. Besides, having skill increases your confidence.

firsttogo

Registered Member
I think you need both. You can't really compete when you only have skill or only have confidence.

But if I had to choose one, I'd go with Skill. You can have all the confidence in the world, but if you don't have the skill to back it up, it's pointless.

You really need both, but I think it starts with skill. Once you develop your skill, you'll start to become more confident.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I do think you need both but I think skill is more important then confidence. Without skill you probably won't succeed much.

You can have all the confidence in yourself in the world but if you dont have the skill to back it up then you aren't going to get very far. I know there are some example to the contrary but for the most part I think its true.

You make it to the pros with skill

You make it to the company softball team with confidence