~Skateboard Deck art~

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Nightsurfer, May 10, 2008.

1. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Hi all.

I was wondering if any of you have ever considered skateboard decks as a form of art?

Here is a few examples

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was watching a few different big name Auctions and I noticed that they were selling some skateboards Decks under the art section. So I had to see what was going on, and there was a big buzz about this section.

I saw old school and new school Skateboard Decks selling for $200.00 to $1,000 or more depending on the artist and if the deck was a "concept art deck" or a "production art deck".

The Production decks were selling a bit higher than the concept decks. I was amazed to see how many bidders there were going nuts over the Art on these decks, and bidding high to get them.

So my question is..Do you conceder this art? If so why..If not why?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah I consider it art. In fact in high school I did a bunch of oil painting on Skateboards, High Temp clear sealer to help sustain it and all the works!

I sold all of them so unfortunately I dont have any way to get pics, although my art teacher from that time took pics of them all. Alot of them were WWII Propaganda style, I found that to be easy to put on that type of "canvas" so to speak. I had a friend I probably did 15+ different boards for. I'd get 20 bucks from him to cover the charge of a blank board (no trucks/wheels) and I'd have them done in about 2-3 days. One of my favorites was when I took this pic:
    [​IMG]

and re-did it sans the Nazi part. It came out amazing, I spent probably 7 straight hours working on a pattern for the python and trying to really make the head look 3d. I was super impressed with myself after it was finished.