• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Awesome Size of the Universe

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's a video that I saw today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S69...eature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_2218640423

It starts with the absolute smallest thing known to man and proceeds to the absolute largest known celestial formations/groups. There is so much out there, I can't help but be fascinated by it all.

There is a way to measure how much larger one is than the other but I'd need a very powerful calculator that I don't have. Let's just say that the universe is so absurdly larger than the little planet that we call Earth that I don't think we'll have sufficiently scratched the surface 10,000 years from now.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Sim

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to wonder if we will ever realize how large it is. Earth is so tiny compared to other planets and stars in the universe yet when trying to travel to other countries, or even across the US, it seems so large.

The nebula's are so beautiful.

Doc_Fearless

Registered Member
It really is a shocking thing to think just how small Earth and even we ourselves are compared to such a vast Universe.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What is small and what is large?

Size is all relative. Our universe may seem too large to even comprehend, but what if the whole thing is just a subatomic particle inside of another universe? On the other end of the spectrum, the smallest known particles are unimaginably small to us, but what if there are entire universes contained inside them?

Is there really such a thing as a fundamental building block, a theoretical "smallest particle" which cannot be broken down into smaller particles? Everything has to be made of something, right?. There's no mathematical limit to how small something can be. No matter how close to zero you get, you can always go smaller.

Just something to think about.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I see what he did there. :) The video begins with the smallest objects and ends with the Multiverse theory. Thats very interesting since the amount of dark energy in our universe cant explain the increasing speed of expansion. But the proposed additional dimensions to explain string theory can.

But it is amazing to know that Voyager 1 has been traveling through space for 37 years and it has only reached the Heliopause about 100 AU from the sun. To reach the Oort cloud it would have to travel another 900 AU. And to pass that it would have to travel another 99,000 AU. Since a light year = 63,240 AU then the radius of our solar system alone is about 1.58 light years.

Proxima Centauri is the closest star from us and its about 4.22 light years away. 13,000 AU from that is the binary system Alpha Centauri A/Alpha Centauri B. Those 2 stars are similar to the size of our sun but Alpha Centauri B is smaller. Its about 23 AU from Alpha Centauri A and it has an Earth-mass exoplanet orbiting it. The planet is just a little more mass than Earth and Alpha Centauri B is just slightly smaller than our sun and less bright. The exoplanet orbits Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days at a distance of 6 million km from its sun. It was discovered using the HARPS instrument on the 3.6 meter telescope at the La Silla Observatory in Chile.
Closest exoplanet discovered

This is really cool too. A scale model of our solar system if the moon is the size of one pixel. A lot of scrolling is required.
Scale model of our solar system

But whats really amazing is the size of our solar system alone. If it was a sphere then 3,296,159,650,000,000,000,000,000,000 Earths could fit inside it. But nobody really knows how huge the whole universe is since its still rapidly expanding. Or how many Earths could fit in that. :-o

I wonder what would happen if 2 universes collided. For more information about the Multiverse theory google "Alan Guth" or "Alex Vilenkin" or "Andrei Linde". Imo its probaly not the right explanation for the rapid expansion but until science knows more about dark matter then its the only one out there.

EDIT. I do have one idea about the increasing speed of expansion of the universe. Alan Guth proposed the theory of reverse gravity to explain the Big Bang. Well what if the source of the reverse gravity is still there and growing? Just a thought.

Last edited: