SI's All-Decade Team: MLB

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Albert Pujols, Derek Jeter lead MLB All-Decade team - 2000s: The Decade in Sports - SI.com#

Fairly decent list, I think you could argue a few players like Utley, maybe have Jeff Kent there instead, also with the steroid alledgations regarding A Rod and Bonds, do they actually belong on this list? You could also make an argument on Mauer, Joe has played really well during his last few seasons, but Posada has played awesome all decade.

I don't understand how Rivera is on the list though :shifteyes: :lol:

Wade8813

Registered Member
None of their choices strike me as being particularly bad, which is surprising for a SI list. I would have stuck A-Rod at SS and someone else at 3B (my first thought is Chipper), but A-Rod did spend more time at 3rd than Short.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't understand why Bond is on the list. He wasn't good this decade. His best (and non-roided) years were in the 90's.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Not hardly.

2001 was the year he took the world by storm. In 200 he hit .306/.440/.688. In 2001 he hit .328/.515/.863.

2001-2004 were probably the best* seasons by a player in MLB history.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I'm glad you added the asterix Wade because it's almost 100% that the guy cheated. I don't want to get into this debate right now, but personally I believe that Bonds was just a star and not a superstar during his Major League career. The reason being is because we don't know when he started juicing.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Actually, Bonds may be one of the cases where we might have the best guess about when he started juicing. He started entering his natural decline, then suddenly bulked up and started doing better than ever. It's probable that he started using within a season or two before that, so probably somewhere between 1998-2000.

And he was good enough before that, so I'd rank him as a superstar. Besides, steroids can only help you in certain ways; he still had to have incredible ability of his own.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree that he already had the ability, Steroids will help you hit the ball further, maybe 20-40 feet(guessing here) so a lot of normal fly balls would be hit out of the ball park.

But he did have speed, good defensive ability and was a good hitter before he started taking, but I don't know if I would call him a superstar before he started taking, maybe its because you need to impress the heck out of me before I start calling you that.

Critter

Registered Member
there been not many prove or evinced for bonds as for steriods last time i heard the investigation did more than so it, the court through it out.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I agree that he already had the ability, Steroids will help you hit the ball further, maybe 20-40 feet(guessing here) so a lot of normal fly balls would be hit out of the ball park.

But he did have speed, good defensive ability and was a good hitter before he started taking, but I don't know if I would call him a superstar before he started taking, maybe its because you need to impress the heck out of me before I start calling you that.
Look at his stats from 1990-1997, where he never hit below .290, always had .400+ OB, and his SLG was always .500 or better. Not to mention being a good fielder and stealing 29+ bases every season. His lowest OPS+ during that time was 168, and he had a couple years over 200.

How does Manny Ramirez not make the list? He's just hit 385 hr since 2000 and drove in 1227. I know he may not be the most liked player but he was the most feared hitter in baseball during the early 2000's and is still pretty scary today. The rest of the list I agree with but Manny should be on there.