Single Issue Voters

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you have a problem with single issue voters? Do you think it's commendable or detestable? (Or somewhere in between of course).

Would you consider yourself a single or limited issue voter? Why or why not, and what issues (if you feel comfortable saying them).

Thoughts?

2. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

I guess I would like to say I do not have an issue. But I don't quite know what you mean Brix.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, for example if somebody ONLY voted for the candidate that was the best on a single issue and for the most part didn't care as much about how they stood on other issues, even issues that would affect them.

4. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Would you say people voted Obama 'just' because he's... ... ... young for a President?

No, technically, I woulnd't vote just for one single reason, though if a candidate was the only one of many that was 110% pro-life, and/or untollerant of allowing Children to change their sex and other similar moral issues, then I'd chose him or her over candidate that could make my life more easier to live, i.e I'd rather my life be a harder to live than not give the unborn the chance to live amongst us.

Edited to add:

Who knows, by banning the murder of the unborn, some may grow-up to be great leaders and treat us well, ergo, our short term choice was a scarifies of sorts, but the reward could follow many moons down the line, though seeing an end to immorality of that sort would be a great rewards in itself.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
    Mirage likes this.
  5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I would have to say single issue voters is somewhere in between. I'm not a single issue voter, but take universal healthcare, for example. That one issue is enough for me not to vote for someone, regardless of any other issue.

I would say to some extent most people have an issue or two that prevents them or encourages them from voting for someone. Doesn't mean they don't look at the entire record, but one or two issues is controlling.

6. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

I have no problem with single issue voters, its their right to only really care about one issue. I try not to have issues with how anyone votes, its their business and their right.

7. Envy

Envy Band Nerd ♫

I hate to say it but I am pretty much a single issue voter myself. There are a lot of things that do actually matter to me - The war ending, the abolishing of the death penalty, abortion remaining either banned or only in very specific cases, the view on education, etc.

However, when I'm looking at a candidate, the first thing I look at is their stance on LGBT rights. Perhaps I've been foolish to think that one candidate could actually make things better, but I've always just hoped... And I could not ever in good conscious support somebody who is a homophobe and will only hold us back. Bush made me very, very angry.

I do find it rather odd that I set aside my view on abortion for last year's election, but I knew that abortion is a complicated issue and there are valid reasons for both sides, so I allowed myself to do so.

Mirage likes this.
  8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I am by far not a Straight Ticket Voter.

and I pride myself on that. To many times have I heard other friends and relatives strictly off "cheat sheets" they get in the mail from their Political Party.

To me its detestable. I mean theres a strong difference between being a straight ticket voter and maybe just voting on one side because you truly agree with it. But I would venture to believe there really arent that many people who cant have some sort of agreeances on both sides of the political spectrum. I mean hell it feels like every other voting option I vote for one side then the other.

All I ask from voters is to do some research, yeah I realize you're not in school anymore and you swore off studying. But this is our lives and our childrens lives at stake... Voting is important, learn about what you're voting for before you just say "well Schwarzenegger likes this!".

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think you misinterpreted the thread, Goat.

I would never vote for a candidate because of a single issue, but I would certainly vote against one if it was something I'm strongly against. Some issues are obviously more important than others, but I don't think any single issue is worth voting for while not taking everything else into account.

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

People can vote for what they please. The big problem with single issue voters is within a two party system where it really is in spite of all other issues. If you have a multi party system then the single issue vote is often accompanied by a secondary issue at least.

Im not a single issue voter but here are a few issues that are prominent in my decisions on who to cast a vote for or against. These are my key issues but not sole issues.

There are though some parties who I would never vote for because of single issues they advocate. The BNP, or the Communist party, no thanks, even if they ticked all the other boxes that Im in support of (btw; they dont, but I still would not vote for them under any circumstance).

Ive voted for three different parties in my voting life, and Im still undecided on our forecoming elections and there are one or two issues that would swing my vote but I would not say my vote is exclusive to those issues.

Who knows they may also grow upto be sadistic killers and meglomaniac dictators! .....is this really your primary policy on voting? Abortion fair enough but "hope and fortuitous optimism of the unknown!" is a bit of a weak argument to become a single issue voter.

Ive asked you this before; is it universal healthcare or government influence & responsibility of healthcare that you object to?

I find it hard to believe anybody would object to universal healthcare alone in spite of all other issues.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009