Since when did holding doors become an insult?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I often times will hold the door for anybody if they are within a few seconds from the door. Guys usually just say thanks and keep walking but it's some of the ladies you have to watch out for. Many times girls will just say thanks and keep walking, which is fine, but it's the ones who make a big deal out of "I can open the door for myself" that bug me. Seriously, I realize most people can hold the door for themselves. That was NEVER the point. The point is that it's a friendly gesture and WE ARE LIVING IN A SOCIETY! Since when did holding the door for somebody become an insult?

:confused:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
If you do it all the time, it's fine. Some girls I know take resent chivalry because they find it sexist. I agree that if you do it for just women it is indeed sexist, however I don't think it's necessarily wrong.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Muahahaha I think I blogged about this a while back.

I completely feel for ya! I'm of the oldschool train of thought where I try to be as polite as possible especially to ladies.

I open every single door I can for Kim without hesitation or second thought. Its just part of my nature. I dont do it to be rude at all. There have been multiple cases where the "Ms. Independant Lady" gets pissy with me because of how threatful my polite gesture is to her feminine independance.

I hate that.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I say thanks to strangers who hold the door open for me but for people I know it sort of irks me if they will rush to get the door because I CAN open it myself and can hold it open for others as well.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I've never come across that myself. If I did, I'd probably have a great urge to slam it right in their face as they walk through.

Take that, ya bastid!

R1pperZ

Registered Member
I say thanks to strangers who hold the door open for me but for people I know it sort of irks me if they will rush to get the door because I CAN open it myself and can hold it open for others as well.
I can understand that situation though, if your looking to earn some extra points.. do something that she might actually find useful.

bball4life

Alfred :: Gotham Hero
i always hold the door for guys or girls, if they are close behind me. now im not gonna stand there for 30 seconds because i see an old man half way across the parking lot, but i think its just common curtesy to hold the door and to have the door held for me.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you do it all the time, it's fine. Some girls I know take resent chivalry because they find it sexist. I agree that if you do it for just women it is indeed sexist, however I don't think it's necessarily wrong.
But the thing is, how does somebody know that you hold the door for everybody? They don't and assumptions are made sometimes.

And even if somebody only held the door for girls and not guys are they a bad person for doing so?

Kounela

Registered Member
I believe this is one of those "mixed signal" things... Some women just don't know what they want. I appreciate the men who hold the door. I smile and say thank you. I will hold the door for men or women myself. For me, it's not about gender, but rather the fact that it's simply polite. I don't get why others complain.