• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Simplifying TV and Movie Boards

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Since there was a thread about how to simplify the video game boards I thought maybe we could do one for the TV and Movie boards too. Many people may have no problem with them, and that's fine, it could just be me. And I don't actually have any solid ideas of what we can do but I've never really been fond of the categories in them.

For example, I'm sometimes unsure where to post about films in the movie section. It has 'General Movie Talk' then 'Big Blockbusters'. How do I know exactly what is a big blockbuster or not? What if it's a film coming out that isn't released yet, or something that did well in some countries and not other ones? If a film is out in the cinema I'm never sure if I should put it in general or blockbusters.

Also TV has Drama and General, what if it's a comedy-drama? Which category would it go in then?

Maybe to eliminate confusion about whether the film is a big blockbuster or not we could have a section just for 'current release films' or something like that. As in a place to talk about films currently airing in cinemas (even though I know they do this at different times all over the world).

I dunno, as I said I don't really have any solid ideas of what could be done. All I know is the layout of the TV and movie boards has always bothered me a little, and I really liked the video game boards but they seem to bother some people, so I thought I'd see if anyone agreed with me or not on this one.
------
Also, do we really need sub-forums in TV for 24, Lost, House etc? Are those shows even very popular here? What if we just made it sort of like the Glee and Game of Thrones threads, where each different show has it's own thread and all discussions about that show take place in that thread.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Really, the best way to do it is just have a section for Movies, and a section for TV shows. Dividing by genres nowadays is kind of silly since the biggest fad is multigenre.

We could also have a section for 'movies coming soon' and mods can just move them to movie section once they actually come out.
------
Also, do we really need sub-forums in TV for 24, Lost, House etc? Are those shows even very popular here? What if we just made it sort of like the Glee and Game of Thrones threads, where each different show has it's own thread and all discussions about that show take place in that thread.
Both 24 and Lost were popular back when they were current. Same with House. I guess thats why they had their own section, so there could be a thread for each episode. But 2 of those shows are over now, and House is getting close. So they are pretty non mattering.

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I kinda agree with crouton, I am not saying we should have boards for every genre ever created but I do think a subsection for say foreign films would be a good idea and I like the idea of having a section for newer films and possibly one for older films.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I'd definitely merge Big blockbusters with general, there's just no point in dividing them. Escpecially since comic movies tend to be blockbusters too there's just no need for it.

Heres how I'd group it.

General (anything mainstream and current. I wouldn't bother dividing this into pre and post release. Comic book movies can go here too since they're such a big part of mainstream popular culture these days.)

Classics (For threads about films that are already old)

World Cinema (which I suppose in the context of this site would mean anything that originated from a non-english speaking country).

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
A section for classics is a good idea, but it's hard to define that as well. Should we pick a certain year or something, and say any movie before that time? It's hard to say what an 'old' film is now and what's not.

Taliesin

Registered Member
And quite frankly, those living in, say, France could legitimately consider anything not from their own country to be "world cinema". Why should "world cinema" be applied to anything that's not in english? It's not like english speakers are the centre of the universe or anything. Why not just lump english films and those in other languages together? It's kind of fairer that way, isn't it?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah Eph has a fair point, world cinema and foreign film is almost impossible in a forum with users from all over the world.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Yeah Eph has a fair point, world cinema and foreign film is almost impossible in a forum with users from all over the world.
That was my original thought too but since English is the language used for communication on this site by its users it seemed natural that if we were gonna draw a line between mainstream and non-mainstream that it would be based around English. Of course the term "World Cinema" is relative and if it would cause offence then best leave the division out altogether.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Staff is currently talking about streamlining the Entertainment section. We are aware of the difficulty of classifying topics in certain subforums we currently have so this is also under discussion at the moment.