Simpler Times...

Which do you prefer

• Total voters

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I was just reading Pro's thread regarding the endless need to talk on the cellphone.

Anyway, do any of you remember life before the cellular phones?
It was much calmer, knowing that when someone was out you couldn't reach them until they reached their destination (assuming there's a phone there).
Yet these days when you think about someone going out, having the dependency on the phone you get more agitated not being able to reach the intended person and you are definitely not calm.

Even though the situations seem to contradict each other, being more calm when you know there is no means of communication and you have to just be patient till you are able to contact whoever it is, as opposed to getting agitated when you know there is a way of communicating yet for some reason the lines are messed up.

What is better for us do you think?
The more simpler times when cellular phones existed in movies only or the technology world of today where everyone can reach anyone at any given time (assuming there is nothing wrong with the satellites)?

Edit: By the way, this thread isn't solely about cellular phones, but the need of technology as opposed to lack of it. The poll is referring to general terms, not cellular phones only.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
i prefer the technology of today, BUT i'm afraid humans will go beyond limits and make their life e technology.
i've seen girls marrying their laptops and other stupid things like that...i'm afraid humans won't stop it because too much technology is bad ..i don't think there's anything we need more in technology. we've had enough.

As long as we don't forget where we came from, I prefer technology of today. It's scary to think of the advances we'll make but at least I'm safe in the knowledge that I can be alerted as quickly as possible if something goes wrong even half way across the world. It's incredible how fast information can travel and I don't know where I'd be without that.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Cant even imagine life without tech! I dont think it's the cells, I think it's the people using them. I mean, ya dont have to grab it every time it goes off and I dont. My friends know I'm not gonna text or call till night - unless there's an emergency - and they hate the answering thing on the main phones, Lol! But I think a lot of people have a lot Less fun when they spend their lives on a cell phone. No way! too many other cool things to do!

I love technology. I love knowing that boredom is nonexistent to me. I can listen to music, video games, Internet, Kindle, iPhone, ect... Not only does technology make life funner, but also easier.

I'm just drooling just thinking about the future where we have robots do stuff for us, some mid-air touchscreen translucent computer screen, always entertaining video games. Here's to the future of technology. *cheers*

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I love a lot of the modern technology, but I think society is becoming too dependent on it. Everywhere you look people are on their cell phones or laptops, talking, texting, emailing, surfing the web, etc. When I was growing up kids didn't have cell phones, and adults didn't really have them either. Even when I was in high school it was a luxury to have a car phone. I got by just fine without all that stuff. I can use the internet anytime I want when I'm at home. Why would I want to use it while I'm out?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm inclined to believe that its Technology that is guilty of Corrupting the enjoyment of life around us.

Dont get me wrong, Technology is a beautiful thing and I'm more than guilty of taking advantage of all its wondrous short cuts and perks. However I can be completely honest when I say I'm just as peachy up in the mountains without so much as even an AM Radio to keep me company.

Its hard to knock technology until you've had the opportunity to live a life without it. There was a thing I just recently read "this decade according to 10 year olds".... kids who have known absolutely nothing else but Computers, Cell Phones, and immediate media gratification.

My family originally didnt have hardly any of those things back when I was a kid, and I survived just fine. Kids today dont have the same appreciation for dirt as the world I grew up in emphasizes.

one issue I see with technology is that the further we gain in the advancements and the Ease of use etc etc... the more Materialistic we become. And the very fabric that used to make a family tight knit is now few and far between. Be it a TV in every room (which when I was younger was unheard of) or even having Central Air conditioning or heating. If we were cold in the Winter, my Dad would have us stack wood until we warmed up. And believe me... those who stack & split the wood have no desire to make a fire.

I do agree it was simpler times. I just hope that the Materialism involved with the latest technology doesnt ruin everything in my future that I cherished from my childhood.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Its hard to knock technology until you've had the opportunity to live a life without it.
I think it's safe to say that anyone who was born in the early 1980's or before knows what it means to live without advanced technology.
I find it surprising that many of said group of people prefer the materialism of new technology, and don't realize, just as you've said that there are a lot of advantages for children having no access to technology of today.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
When I'm in my almost-10-year-old car with my daughter on a day like today when it's 9°F outside with a windchill below zero, I'm gonna go with I prefer the technology of today.

I don't like that kids sit around texting each other all the time no matter where they are, log on to facebook to tend to their farm while they're supposed to be paying attention to their professor, etc., but that's really not the fault of technology.