Simple and quick mince recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Saffy, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

Savoury Mince..

Splash Olive Oil
    1 Large Onion
    2 or 3 cloves of Garlic (to taste)
    2 or 3 Carrots (depending on size)
    2 stalks of Celery
    about 400g Minced Beef
    140z tin of chopped tomato's
    about half a pint of beef stock (use a stock cube not oxo)
    Worcester sauce, salt and pepper for seasoning

Sweat off the chopped Onion and chopped or crushed Garlic in the olive oil. Add the diced carrot and sliced celery, and cook for a few minutes more. Add the minced beef and cook for a few minutes stirring occasionally to brown all over. Add a tin of chopped tomato's and about half a pint of beef stock. season with some worcester sauce, salt and black pepper. Turn heat to low and simmer for a good half hour. Thicken with a bit of cornflour if needed.
    Serve with some mashed potato and veggies:)
    Or you can transfer it in to a casserole dish or oven dish and add some cooked mashed potato on top and heat in a hottish oven for about 20 mins or until the top is starting to brown to make a Cottage Pie:) Some people call it Shepherds Pie as well but Shepherds Pie should be made with Lamb.

This is the basic recipe,, it can be changed , you can add swede or turnip instead of or as well as carrots, also parsnip is quite nice. it dont matter as far as the veg goes just make do with what you have at hand.

2. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Hey! I love mince! Now, I have a new recipe to try..........thanks!

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

This is similar to something I'd do at university, but my version has less ingredients. :lol:

I usually just chucked some pasta in with it.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

What is minced meat? I've always wondered that. I just googled it and wiki said minced or ground meat. So does that mean that it's just regular chuck beef...or do you actually have to do something to it to make it minced?

5. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

your welcome:)
    Thats the beauty of it ,,, just chuck in whatever you like:D

its just beef ,, minced
    [​IMG]

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Oh, I've gotcha. They call that ground beef here. :p My bad.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

@Pam- I think you guys might call it something different over there.

Beef mince, ground beef or hamburger meat (in North America), or mince(d) meat (in the rest of the English speaking world)

hamburger meat? lol

---

oops, too late

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  8. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

This sounds really similar the recipe my mum used to make when I was a kid. I'm going to have to try it out and see if it tastes similar, because I have no idea what she put in hers. Thanks for sharing.