• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Sim City (2013)

Impact

V.I.P.
The long awaited follow up to Sim City launched this week to a lot of disappointment due to the server issues. I couldn't even load a game on release day, but i've managed to get on yesterday pretty smoothly. If I left it alone for 10 minutes it seemed to crash, but other than that we're good. So, server issues aside...who has this and what do you think?

Trailer:
SimCity (2013) Official Trailer - YouTube

I've played a couple actual games - screwed up a couple in my first few with funding, layouts, etc. I tried sandbox mode with unlimited money and everything unlocked and I didn't like it. You have everything that you don't need and of course I buy it straight away.

I have a city going at the moment on one of the 16 claimable city maps and I hope to develop it all.

One thing that confuses the hell out of me...streetcars. Where the hell are you meant to put the depots for these things? I take it they have to be on avenues but what the hell? I cannot get them to work?

Last edited:

Carlossus

Hi Impact. I got the game on Friday and it was pretty much unplayable all day/night and for most of the morning on Saturday. I managed to get a couple of hours in last night but that's about it.. so far though, I do like it! I'm just not entirely sold on the whole 'always connected' part of it, but hopefully they iron out the problems soon.

Regarding the streetcars, I haven't yet got to the point where I can deploy them (only just got a bus network running!) but I'm sure one of the high density avenues has a streetcar track running in it. I'd guess you need to build it on that type of avenue (and create a large network using that particular tile type too).

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah, in one of my cities I have high density avenues going on and still can't seem to place them. *shrugs* I'll get there eventually.

Weird that it wasn't available to play for you on Saturday morning - at least you managed some later on though. I managed to connect fine at all times yesterday. I agree with you about the always connected thing though. I don't see a need for it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am a huge SimCity2000 fan so I'll definitely be getting this at some point. I am not sure when haha

I actually have SimCity4 and I barely played it but I'm sure I'll play this. Hopefully they get all the crap figured out by the time I purchase it.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I was reading on The Register about the bugs in the servers. You would think that as big of a company as EA are they would have anticipated this or at least taken a leaf out of people like Steam's books. If I can see proof that it is stable and if I read enough reviews to convince me I should come back (the last sim city game I played was Sim City 3000 which despite saying compatible for Windows Vista I still cannot run on Windows 7) I will consider making the purchase but right now I am more obsessed with The Simpsons "tapped out" on my Android Tablet.

Impact

V.I.P.
It's been stable for me all of yesterday and today so I think they've done something to smooth out the issues. It's not 100% yet but it isn't taking away from the experience, for me at least.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Problems with servers aside, I think that my MacBook type doesn't have the gaming power I'd need to make this work. I've read that even an older game like The Sims 3 may have problems because this laptop just doesn't come with the processor for gaming.

Once it's release for Mac I'll definitely research how it does on my system though through user comments and forums. If there's a remote chance it would work it may be worth the risk lol. I love these games.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have pretty much decided I am buying Sim City (I was on the site already to go) but sadly my current graphics card cannot handle it (I has a sad) but it does give me an excuse to upgrade and give my pc an overall :)

Konshentz

Konshentz
I used to play Sim City waaaaaay back in the day. Lots of fun was had with that game. Would I play it now? Eh, probably not. But who knows, in a few years when it's dirt cheap, I may give it a go.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I used to play Sim City waaaaaay back in the day. Lots of fun was had with that game. Would I play it now? Eh, probably not. But who knows, in a few years when it's dirt cheap, I may give it a go.
This is something I worry about with this. You are forced to be always on-line when playing. So, what happens when EA decides to shut down the servers? Unless Maxis releases a patch to allow true off-line play, then bam, no more SimCity.

In terms of future accessibility, this is poor planning.