• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sidney Crosby overrated?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Lately, I've been watching a bit more hockey and I see a lot of commercials with Sid in them. I've seen the guy play, and personally, I don't see why people make such a big deal about him. Sure, he scores lots of goals, but I've seen a ton of those goals, they don't look like talented goals, they look like lucky goals in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, the guy has talent and plays well. Obviously he has skill with being positioned really well and what not, but if you compare him to some of the older greats of past, he just doesn't compare. He always looks so clumsy lol, lacking a certain elegance I guess.

I think he plays decent hockey sure, but I don't think it's enough to warrant the godlike status the media gives him. Also, he's a crybaby.

Anyone else come to mind that seems overrated?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've been saying this since before he even went pro, when they were calling him "The Next One". Not that he isn't a good player, but that there's always been way too much hype around him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Depends how you define overrated, if you say he's on the same level as Wayne Gretzky then yes I do believe he's overrated. Sidney Crosby is a great player, arguably the best player in the NHL right now. He scores goals, he makes his teammates better and he has a great overall game.

Crosby is definitely a special player, he sees plays and makes play that not a lot of players can make. I still can't stand the guy, and I think he's one of the biggest cry babies in the NHL, but I don't believe he's overrated in the NHL right now.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Comparing Crosby to Gretzky isn't even fair to Sidney IMO. Nobody is Wayne Gretzky...nobody.

But overrated? Come on, no chance. He's the face of the NHL. We're talking about a kid, yes kid, who has already won an Olympic gold medal and a Stanley Cup Championship.

He's averaged 37 goals a season since he came into the league, that's ridiculous. That's not counting this season where he has 32 already and scored at least one point in 26 straight games. (or was it more, I know it was around that long). He averages over 100 points a season...who else does that? Hardly anybody this day in age.

So no, he's not overrated. He's the face of the NHL and his face should be all over the place.

Turbo

Registered Member
Yes, Yes, OMG YESSSS!

He has no defensive game whatsoever. He's a whiner, you look at him funny and he wants a penalty. He is also a dirty player.

Ovechkin, Stamkos, Iginla....those are REAL players.

Brandon22

Registered Member
The kid is def not overrated, he has unreal skill and when you are in the spot light from when you are 10 years old like he was it puts alot of pressure on him. He def is a bit of a cry baby yes, but when he is at the top of his game there is no one better in the game today.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Lately, I've been watching a bit more hockey and I see a lot of commercials with Sid in them. I've seen the guy play, and personally, I don't see why people make such a big deal about him. Sure, he scores lots of goals, but I've seen a ton of those goals, they don't look like talented goals, they look like lucky goals in my opinion.
Y'know, when someone scores as many goals as he does, at some point you have to realize that no matter how it looks, it can't just be luck.

Brandon22

Registered Member
ya luck is a very very small part of his game....if you still don't believe how good he is just spend some time on youtube and watch some of this handy work.....thats all that it would take...

Best Player in the world IMO when he is healthy

Turbo

Registered Member
Ovechkin has outscored Crosbitch through their careers and he is just now getting recognition by the league. Crosbitch is a joke and not the top gun the league has made him into.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Ovechkin is just now getting recognition by the league, huh? Do you watch hockey? They haven't shut up about the guy since he entered the league.

Crosby a joke? It's hard to take you serious, dude.