Movies Shutter Island

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Italiano, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Shutter Island

Scorsese's latest film. Haven't heard much about this except for the trailer and a few tidbits here and there. This is the first psychological thriller film (at least it looks so from first glance) that Marty's done since CAPE FEAR in 91.

I don't know what he's got up his sleeve with this movie but from what I've seen Marty's true potential doesn't shine as bright with this particular genre. I'm not that excited to see it, but I'll probably see it nonetheless. I'm rather looking forward to what he's going to do with SINATRA as rumored.

2. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I just saw this and I thought it was uneven. I found the first 3 quarters very absorbing but the plot kind of unravels towards the end. It's a shame because there are some good performances in there along with the good directing style you'd come to expect from Mr Scorsese.

3. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I saw this movie last week, and I enjoy it, but I have to agree with Alt in saying that the plot unravels towards the end. It gets a bit sloppy, but over all I enjoy it.

4. Poetosis

Poetosis Registered Member

I read a review recently placing this into the context of "1950s suburbia thriller", which made me intrigued enough to consider seeing it.

I have not got around to it yet, but the trailers makes it out to be at least a decent watch.

5. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

I just watched this film a few nights ago and was completely absorbed until about (like others have said) 75% of the way through the movie. But my problem is a little different. Somewhere around the time Teddy started to make an attempt towards the lighthouse I started clutching the sides of the sofa and praying, "please dear God of cinema, don't let this be another 6th Sense 'I have been 'dead/crazy/dreaming/delusional/it was me the whole time' sort of ending," especially after 120 minutes.

Then it happened...or did it? After reconstructing the film's plot, my SO and I agree that it could have ended either way--he could have been brainwashed with the help of psychotropic drugs in order to prevent him from uncovering a mystery, or he really was crazy the whole time from his PTSD and was going through an elaborate role-playing scenario to try and break the cycle. There is irresolution at the end that feels like a cinematic premature ejaculation--you got to the end, but before anything was really "resolved" and without much "umph."

I liked the film a lot and feel that most of it was well done, but I am personally so so so tired of that ending. I realize the generation behind me might not be yet jaded to this "who dunnit--oh, I dunnit" ending, so I suppose it really needs to be assessed in how well it uses an ancient plot device, which ended up being meh. The rest of it was pretty good--even though Leo's put-on Massachusetts accent was a little flimsy at times.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  6. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I loved it. I wasn't disappointed with any of it. I thought it was a really good watch and it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

7. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I watched it a week or so ago and really enjoyed it. The possibility of it ending that way crossed my mind very early on but went away shortly after. Its hard to tell how it really ended, I keep going back and forth. DiCaprio was great as pretty much always.

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I finally saw this last night and I agree with this post. It could have gone either way and while it was never finally resolved I thought it was mostly well done. I thought it kind of dragged for a bit by around 75% through the film, but overall pretty well done. And I agree with the accent, not too bad but it was a bit flimsy at times.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I just watched this yesterday. During the first few minutes of the movie, I joked about the plot with my friend who was watching with me. I like inventing plots and twists and he thought I was crazy. Turns out, it was what the movie was about. So maybe it spoiled things for me because it seemed predictable instead of a surprise. However, I still enjoyed the final scene which opened discussions between me and my friends. (warning spoilers to follow). Personally I think he did it on purpose to appear to have a relapse so he can have the lobotomy. His last line to the doctor gave that impression.