Should we be moving forward?

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by monstertoad101, Aug 14, 2010.

1. monstertoad101

monstertoad101 Registered Member

Okay, well, basically, me and my boyfriend have been together for quite a while, and we both love eachother a hell of a lot. Like everybody I know, we've had our ups and downs in the relationship, but always came through happier at the other end.

My situation is this... A friend of mine has just proposed to his girlfriend, and, they've not been together half as long as us, and when asked how he knew it was the right time, he said, that he knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with this girl... This made me think.. I love my boyfriend a lot, and would like to spend the rest of my life with him, but, I don't understand if he feels the same. I thought he did, but, he's not proposed to me or anything, we used to talk about moving in together, but that has sort of gone off the tables, and I'm not really sure where I stand.

He shows me that he loves me all the time, and I couldn't be happier with him, I just don't understand if he feels the same. Maybe it's just because the said friend is engaged, and I'm wondering, if I should be too... advice please...

2. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

There is no right or wrong time to get engaged. Sure you are in love, but are you financially stable? Are you both stable in your careers?

You say that he shows you that he loves you all the time and that you are happy with him, so really it sounds like you are in the right place. He doesn't have to propose to you to show his love. I personally don't believe in getting engaged quickly into a relationship, moving too fast always seems to prove problematic. So I really wouldn't worry about it at this point.. And don't start nagging him about how your friend is getting married or anything like that or you will push a good guy and a good relationship down the drain. It doesn't hurt to talk about your future with him breifly to get a feel to make sure you are both on the same path, but it can't feel pushy or he may back away from the idea of marriage rather than move closer to it.

3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

First off, I don't think you should get engaged just because your friend just got engaged, no matter how much time they spent together.
    It's up to every couple to decide when's the right time to move to the next step.

The best thing is to bring back the topic again, with your boyfriend. It doesn't mean he doesn't love you though you need to have securities so that you know where you stand.

4. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 10 months, and before that we were always still very close as we went on and off for about 3 years and we have only recently even talked about getting engaged or any steps forward. In this situation its just about what is best for you and your boyfriend. Why not talk to him? That's where you're going to get your best answers.