• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should Vince Carter have his number retired?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Vince Carter is the main reason why Basketball in Canada is getting a lot of attention during the last few years. The reason why we have Thompson, Wiggins, Joseph, Bennett, ect is because they watched Vince Carter. Yes, Steve Nash helped in a way, but I think it's mostly all Vince.

We all know that Vince left on bad terms, and I won't go in a huge rant, but I don't blame him for wanting out, I blame Raptors management. Anyway, back to the topic, if it wasn't for Vince, I doubt the Raptors would still exist. He had a lot of amazing years in Toronto and he put it on the map.

So, in your opinion, do you think he deserves to get his number retired?

legendary33

He gave us some great years but he does not deserve to be the first jersey that we retire. Although i do remember hearing that at the last minute he decided to stay in Toronto but that the deal was already done, I figure it would be a no brainer if had had stayed but with the way things turned out i say no.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
legendary33 said:
He gave us some great years but he does not deserve to be the first jersey that we retire.
Who does? In all honesty, no one as done more to this franchise then Vince and it's not even close. Also, I doubt anyone in the next decade will have that much impact for the Raptors that he's had(unless, they miraculously draft Wiggins next year).

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Of course he should get his number retired. What he did for the city of Toronto and all of Canada off and especially on the court is unmatched. The guy was god in Toronto before the whole turmoil came up. He was the reason why basketball succeeded in Canada, and if they didn't have that exciting 10 years I don't think we'd be having this conversation. And those are the reasons why his number should be in the rafters at the ACC.

legendary33

I don't think any raptor has yet to deserve their Jersey retired. In my eyes if they do retire his jersey it will just be a sign of how weak our franchise has been, theres no need to rush this just wait for a player who actually deserves it. I would probably consider Calderon before carter but obviously not for stats just for his long tenure here and the class he had while being in Toronto.

StroShow

V.I.P.
legendary33 said:
I don't think any raptor has yet to deserve their Jersey retired. In my eyes if they do retire his jersey it will just be a sign of how weak our franchise has been, theres no need to rush this just wait for a player who actually deserves it. I would probably consider Calderon before carter but obviously not for stats just for his long tenure here and the class he had while being in Toronto.
Please tell me your feelings towards Vince Carter are the reasons why you feel no player in Toronto Raptors history hasn't done anything to deserve to get their number retired? I can name you atleast 5 situations as to why Vince should and will get his jersey retired.

legendary33

I wouldn't understand how a team will retire a players jersey when that player will just be congratulated with the roar of boo's during the ceremony. That would be embarrassing for the whole organization and a step backwards in my mind to our reputation, I don't see it happening.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Toronto fanbase really need to stop Vince. Seriously, the only reason Toronto still as a team is because of him. Yes, he left on bad terms, but blame Rob Babcock and not Vince. He didn't listen to his superstar and they started to suck. Vince deserves to get his jersey retired and the fans need to stop booing him because it's embarrassing when they do.

StroShow

V.I.P.
legendary33 said:
I wouldn't understand how a team will retire a players jersey when that player will just be congratulated with the roar of boo's during the ceremony. That would be embarrassing for the whole organization and a step backwards in my mind to our reputation, I don't see it happening.
Situations like these happen all the time. Fans usually forgive a player, but for some reason Toronto fans love to hold a grudge. He brought exciting basketball to Toronto and all of Canada. I think that should outweigh the bad he's done. Also, Carter openly said he'd be willing to come to Toronto and retire as a Raptor.

jgleason93

legendary33 said:
Fans really have to let that go. That was years ago, both squads moved on. What are you gaining by booing a man on something that has happened years ago